Keyless Entry..bad RAP or keyfob?

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
I posted this in the Keyless Entry Thread, but after 2 days...not a singe response. So I am making a entirely new thread.

1997 Ford Explorer XLT

Sometimes my remote keyfob doesn't work. It won't lock, won't unlock. Panic won't work. Batteries are brand new. It is REALLY starting to bug me....as I use my Unlock button to actually OPEN my door.

I don't have the KeyPad installed yet (custom application in the works), so I don't know if it is REALLY the module in the X, or if it is a failing remote.

Do I need to install the Keypad to fully test the RAP?

I tried to reprogram the remote, to no avail....it acts like I never pressed a button...

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought my 99 , actually a 98 and it came with a keyless remote.I changed the battery and tested the remote they work great but this dam truck won't allow me to program the remote. Tried the key cycle **** and nada , so Im going to guess my truck never came with keyless BUT it has the flashing security light on the cluster ?? ?? ??

The programming cycle would not work for me either. I changed a blown out fuse and then the programming worked fine. Check your fuses that may be the culprit.

Couple things I had problems with, the first I can't remember if it was my Explorer remote or some other vehicle.

One issue was the clip on the battery holder broke the solder joint loose that completes the circuit and I had to whip out the soldering iron and flux to reflow that joint.

2nd issue was gooey button contacts. I don't know if the rubber decomposes or it just leeches oil out of my fingertips but either way after a while there's a gooey substance between the keyfob buttons and contacts on the circuit board. I scrub the rubber pad with hot detergent solution and wipe off the circuit board contacts with a dry paper towel.

I just bought a new remote for ten dollars from amazon.com and they are even cheaper on ebay. I would buy another remote and try it. It's not a big investment and even if its not the fob when you fix the other issues then you will have two. I would highly reccomend uhaul truck parts on amazon.

I just bought a new remote for ten dollars from amazon.com and they are even cheaper on ebay. I would buy another remote and try it. It's not a big investment and even if its not the fob when you fix the other issues then you will have two. I would highly reccomend uhaul truck parts on amazon.

How important is it that the numbers on the back of the remote match when you buy a replacement?

The programming cycle would not work for me either. I changed a blown out fuse and then the programming worked fine. Check your fuses that may be the culprit.
What fuse number? My 99 acts like I t's ready unto program but nothing happens. I programmed my wife's 01 in about 10 seconds but can't figure it out Vehicle is a 99 XLT. Will the vehicle go into programming mode even if it's not programable?

Back