keyless entry code and tonneau latches. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

keyless entry code and tonneau latches.

pmcd

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Finally got my dark blue 2003 Sport Trac today. One minor issue I hope someone can assist with.

The latches on my hard tonneau cover are sticky.I WD-40'd the latches them selves, but I believe the issue is the the cables are sticky in their housings, as if I manually extend them the latches will stay closed, but one I unlock via the key, the cables don't let the pawls extend all the way, so the latches won't latch. I was going to remove the whole latch assy to lube the cable, , but when I started on the second bolt, I could see that the nut plate would drop inside the cover when the bolt came loose. Then I tried to remove the "reel" from the lock cylinder, but can't figure that out either. Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Some have tried brake cleaner sprayed into the cables. I would try something like "Break-Free" (used on guns) or "Dri-Slide" for lubrication. For maximum penetration into the cable outer housings, you could take the top off, spray the cables one at a time and rotate the cover on its edge so that gravity would help draw in the cleaner/lubrication.

Thanks, that will be my next step, as just cleaning/lubing the latches themselves has helped, but but hasn't totally eliminated the issue.

Back