• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry, Fob issues

Spenser Cammack

Reaction score
City, State
Tumwater, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac
Bought a used 03 Sport Trac in April. My son broke the fob, bought a replacement and worked, then shortly after the fob will stop working, I reprogram it and it works once or twice, and then stops. Also the key will not open the door, will start the truck but not unlock the door. Only way to unlock the truck is with the key pad, but it starts honking as soon as it is activated. When the code is entered it stops. Not sure if this is a programming issue, transponder issue, key pad, or something from buying the replacement fob. I also have a 2nd key I want to cut and program but haven’t taken it in to program it, worried to do it with this issue going on.

To be able to use the key, spray WD40 into the key slots. Because most people rarely use the key to open doors dirt builds up in the locks and jams them up. WD40 will flush out the dirt.

As far as the replacement FOB only working a few times, have you tried a new battery? Only use high quality FOB batteries, because I've found that cheap dollar store batteries only last a short time.

Where did you purchase the new FOB from? I've bought multiple replacement FOBs off eBay for around $6 dollars each and they've all worked fine.

As far as adding/cutting new keys, you can use a non-chipped key to just open locks, but you will need a chipped key and will need to have it programmed (various ways to program) to have it start your truck. I've also purchased chipped keys off Amazon for around $10-$12.

The fob is from a company I’ve bought many from over the years (through Amazon). They also sold me the key. Checked the battery, that’s not the issue, it just stops recognizing the fob, then I reprogram it and it will work for a time or two again. Also I don’t know why the alarm starts honking when I punch in the code in. I’ve pulled the fuse on the horn as a short term fix since that car has to leave a 6 am every morning.

I came here because I need help and I see info here I need to verify...maybe it will help me with my issue. First, my daughter bought a used 02 Sport about 7 months ago and have really had no problems until very recently.Right now it is sitting in a parking lot as we have been unable to start it.The fob that came with it has always unlocked and locked the door and the single key had always started it. Now, it still works the locks but trying to start it is another matter. Insert the key and turn to on position without a problem but it no longer makes any attempt to engage the starter. The dash lights come on, the door chimes go off, the stereo plays, seems like everything works except the ignition. Tried jiggling the key abit, pulling shifter fully into park but still nothing. Battery is charged, even tried jump start but no help. Any ideas?

Back