• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry, Please Help!

swhite005

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4X4 4.0L...

I'm having trouble with the door lock/unlock control harness that came with the keyless entry system. There are three wires (Red, Green, and Red/Black) that are supposed to connect to the vehicle's door lock system. Through reading other posts, I think my vehicle is a reverse polarity system, requiring the use of relays. Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with the wiring systems (I can match colors though =D ) or some of the terminology used. I want the system to lock/unlock all doors. Can anyone please take the time to explain how to hook this system up, and if relays are needed, explain which wire goes where? The instruction manual has four systems listed...
3 wire ground switched signal tep door locks
3 wire ground switched 2 step door locks
3 wire positive switched door locks
3 wire positive switched 2 step door locks

I don't think any of these apply to my vehicle, correct?
Here's a table they provided regarding the three different wires...

Wire Color Function Polarity
Red Lock Ground (-)
Red Unlock Positive (+)
Green Lock Positive (+)
Green Unlock Ground (-)
Red/Black 2nd Unlock Pulse Ground (-)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the explroer is not a reverse ground system

Little More Help

Come on guys/girls, I know it's a pain in the a$$, but give me a little more help. Which wires hookup where, and do I need a relay? Don't make me pay to have this stupid thing installed! Thanks in advance.

I know the system 'should' work to unlock the door it is attached on, but as for all doors, I think you have to run some extra wires to each door, or at least to the back of the switch that controls 'unlock' on the driver side door. Shouldn't be very hard to do.

Just to clarify, are the parts your working on:
1: Orginal OEM installed at the factory that your repairing.
2: OEM parts that are NOT original for this particular vehical, but could have been.
3: 3rd Party(i.e. not made by ford motor co.) add-on that your trying to get installed for the first time.

If 1: Just a strait replacement, remeber what you took out and place the new replacement parts in the same way/possition.

If 2 or 3: They should have come with a manual of some type that should show instalation. If not, check the ford (or the manufacturers in case it's #3) web site for one you can download.

If none of this is valid, or helpfull, then you will need a wire tester and some knowladge of wiring. You will need to trace the flow of power to get the desired result, and you will need to that with out cross-wiring the 'hot' wire and burning out your parts.

If it is #2/#3 please let us know:
1: Who made it
2: the part/kit number
3: Was a parts list included with purchase, and if so, did it come with all of the parts.

Back