• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry problem

Ormas4X4

Reaction score
City, State
Southfield MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I went to the security module and wrote down the code. I went to the book and read how to open door. If I read correctly, I enter the code within 5 seconds and the drivers door should open. Enter code and then 3/4 within 5 seconds, and all doors should unlock. Press the 7/8 and 9/0 and all doors should lock. When I enter the unlock code, nothing happens. When I enter the 7/8 and 9/0, the doors will lock. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Were the doors all locked when you tried the unlock code? I can't remember if it unlocks them again if they're already unlocked.

yes. I tried it all sort of ways. Locked the doors using the key fob, then tried to unlock with the keyless pad. The only thing I could get the keyless pad to do was to lock the doors. I tried to use the code to erase any previous personal codes, and also tried to save a new personal code. As I said the only thing that does work is the code to lock the doors.

I would recommend spending 15 minutes outside tonight. Walk outside press the 1/2 button, does it light up? wait for the keypad dim, maybe 1 minute, press 3/4 do they light up? Continue this until you know if all the buttons work.

Yes you appear to have read the manual correct on how it functions, it also has the ability to unlock the hatch glass by pressing 5/6 after unlocking the driver's door, we can get to that later.

Thank you for the reply. Are you suggesting that if the keys do not illuminate, that I could have a key pad issue? If the keypad is broken, what is required to replace it?

Yes I believe that if one of them doesn't illuminate then that would suggest that the keypad has an issue. I tested mine for 5 weeks with the code that the dealership gave me. Check the pad everything seemed to work fine like you are suggesting. Decided maybe my test didn't work. Bought a new keypad, same thing. Decided to look the code up myself on the box in the rear. Punched that code in, worked 'perfectly. Plugged in my original keypad it worked too, so that made me once again believe in my slow test of the keypad

Back