Keyless entry remote same for Ford security system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry remote same for Ford security system?

BajaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 2WD
My "new" 97 came with a Ford OEM security system installed(siren, shock sensor, starter kill, alarm brain) and It didnt come with remotes for the keyless entry.
I bought one on EBAY and its on its way. Im wondering if that remote is the same one used for the security system as well?

As of now, Im just opening the door with the key, then hitting the U button on the door.

When I get the keylees entry remote will this control the alarm as well(once programmed to open the door?

Thanks,
Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im pretty sure it should work. I think there are a couple of different key remotes, hopefully you have the correct one. Once you program it, it should turn the alarm on and off as well as unlock the doors.

I think what really happens is you press ulock, then the door lock module sends a signal to the alarm disarming it. Thats why when you press the U button on the door, it turns off the alarm.

Im not dure if the programming is the same on your EX, but on mine you need to follow these steps:

1. Turn fey to "on" then back to "off" rapidly 8 times ending on "on". The doors will lock and unlock indicating it is in program mode.

2. Within 5 seconds, press the lock button on the remote you wish to program. The doors will again lock and unlock to indicate it has learned that remote. Repear with all remotes you wish to program.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position. The door locks will once again do their thing. Your remote should now work properly.

If the door locks dont do anything when you perform step 2, you have the wrong remote tyoe. I think you can program up to 8 remotes into the computer.

Thanks

Steven

siren & shock sensor???
I don't remember this as being an option for 98. Does anyone else have a siren and shock sensor for their Ford OEM alarm system? Mine uses the horn. The keyfob remote unlocks the doors and disarms the alarm all at the same time. One push unlocks the drivers door a second push within 5 sec unlocks the rest of the doors. Do you have the keypad on the drivers door? I believe the keyfob remote will only work if the door keypad and receiver is there. If your alarm system is a general Ford OEM addon, the keyfob remote may not disarm it.

my dad has siren and shock sensor on his 98 ranger

I do have the keypad on the door as well(and it works)

and the siren is there and theres a connecter on the alarm brain.
Mines a 97 so I dont know what the 98s have?

Hopefully this will all go smoothly

Thanks,
Doug

I had the same problem.

I bought a '97 XLT and the previous owners had lost the remotes.

I have a friend who works at the Ford dealership and I just took it down there and they had an extra remote.

It took like literally 30 seconds for them to program it.

They can also find the security code to unlock it if you do not know the code.

My mom used to have a 97 Lincoln Mark 8 and the remotes looked just a like except the Lincoln one had another button for the trunk.

My 2000 has a siren. Im not sure about the shock sensor. If it has one, its set real low as I cant set it off.

Back