• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry

CaptDan

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
The keyless entry remote/alarm system worked to open and unlock my doors on a 94 Explorer. Then it stopped responding to the remotes. Changed batteries in the remote, NOTHING. Tried the other remote, no responses. Now I can't start the truck because of the fatory alam system. HELP and was to disconnect the whole system?????

Great 94 explorer parked in front of the house with no way to start it.:( :( :( :( :(

Dan Long
Boston, MA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The keyless entry remote/alarm system worked to open and unlock my doors on a 94 Explorer. Then it stopped responding to the remotes. Changed batteries in the remote, NOTHING. Tried the other remote, no responses. Now I can't start the truck because of the fatory alam system. HELP and was to disconnect the whole system?????

Great 94 explorer parked in front of the house with no way to start it.:( :( :( :( :(

Dan Long
Boston, MA

My alarm is dealer installed but maybe this will help. The antenna wire must be worn out on mine or perhaps just wearing loose. Sometimes I can get it to work from 20ft, sometimes from 2. Also does the alarm have a valet button? If so open the door with the alarm screaming, put your key in, press the button and start it up. That should stop the alarm from going off. I think you have about 20 seconds or so to open the door from the inside, and it should never go off opening it from the outside until you use the remote to lock it again.

I hope it works for you becuase undoing the wiring from that alarm would be a pain.

More Options

A. Try to reprogram the remotes, I dont know the procedure for the factory installed alarm.

B. I assume Code Alarm made the factory alarm for Ford. You could try to find another one of their alarms that uses the same connection plugs.

Alarm not working

The alarm is not responding. The alarm is off but will not respond to arm/disarm from any of the remotes. Valet is off no red light. Only way to start truck is to turn key to on, then lift hood and jump sonolid with a screwdriver.

I went looking for the contector in the right read panel by the jack, nothing there but grey mult-wire conctectors.

I hate to go to the Ford dealer and get $crewed!

Dan Long
Boston, MA

Sounds like the alarm brain died or the wires have a problem. Did you try killing the battery & resetting it? You better off going to an alarm installer then the dealer. They will know how to fix it better. Many alarms on 1st gens are dealer installed when new & not true factory.
Good luck

If your alarm is dealer installed the connector that you are refering to that needs to be jumped is not in there. I believe this is how to program the dealer alarm. Get in and close the doors, press and hold the valet button, which is not the red light, it should be a little black button by the parking brake. When the alarm starts to sounds continue to hold the button and press the lock button on the remote. The locks should cycle and the alarm is programmed.

Nope, I looked all under the dash by the parking brake and everywhere. The only button is the red valet button and that is not lit and does nothing when held in. I don't know if the alarm is factory or aftermarket? When it worked properly after 2 mins of the keys being out of the ign. I would have to hit the disarm button to start the truck.

Guess this one is over my head... Going to an alarm shop on friday.
Should be a little cheaper that the dealer. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Dan Long
Boston, MA

Back