• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry

Mumbles

Reaction score
City, State
Perth Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hi Guy's did a bit of a search and had a read but i couldn't quite find the info i wanted

Ok i have 1999 Ford Explorer ( Australian ) i have lost the original Keyless remote the Remote had Two buttons on it ( Lock/Unlock )
The remote to buy in Australia are VERY EXPENSIVE
I have purchased one from a guy in Canada at a very good price this remote
being a Three button Remote ( Lock/Unlock Panic ) Second Hand
I have tried to program it the way the rmanual says the 8 ignition key sequence but this doesn't work
The guy say's the Remote work's great and i have no reason to doubt him
the battery test OK
My questions are ?
Is this remote compatible with my EX
or does it work on a different frequency

Any help appreciated
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 98 X XLT had the three button fob. My understanding was, as long as it is a Ford fob it could programmed.

At least that is what I was told by the dealership and we all know how that goes.

When you did the key rotation from on to off 8x did your door locks cycle to lock then unlock to signal entering programming. Also did you have your door locks in the UNLOCKED position when you tried. If yes to both of these then when you press the LOCK button on the new fob it should cause the door locks to once again cycle to lock then unlock to signal acceptance of your new fob.

When you did the key rotation from on to off 8x did your door locks cycle to lock then unlock to signal entering programming. Also did you have your door locks in the UNLOCKED position when you tried. If yes to both of these then when you press the LOCK button on the new fob it should cause the door locks to once again cycle to lock then unlock to signal acceptance of your new fob.

Yes they did the lock unlock cycle
and i tried it sitting in the vehicle all doors/tailgate unlocked and also locked the vehicle while in it
Still no go

Is there anyway to make sure the remote is working

Can some one with a Remote
grab your mobile phone and turn the camera on look at the remote control though the camera then press a button on the remote while looking though the phone camera you should be able to see a flashing light
we do this at work to test normal IR remotes
My other cars remote works fine doing this test the new one doesn't it could be faulty
if someone could try this would be great
I don't know if the Ford remotes are IR or not

Thanks
Steve

The frequency may diffrent as you are "Down Under". As such the remotes we use here in North America may not be compatable with Ausie Exploders.....

Thanks that is exactly what the problem was different frequencies

Thanks for all replies

Back