• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry

xSgtRenegadex

Reaction score
City, State
Joliet, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer
I have a 97 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. I have been having issues with the keyless entry system. Both the remote and the keypad on the door will only unlock the driver door. But the remote and keypad will attempt to lock all doors when the corresponding buttons are pushed. Any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 97 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. I have been having issues with the keyless entry system. Both the remote and the keypad on the door will only unlock the driver door. But the remote and keypad will attempt to lock all doors when the corresponding buttons are pushed. Any ideas.

That's how it's supposed to work - security feature. Press the remote unlock once - driver's door unlocks. Press twice quickly and all doors unlock. Same with keypad - putting in code just unlocks driver's door - then use door button for other doors. (Might be a way to unlock all doors via keypad; have to check owner's manual.)

Thanks for reply. I understand how the security system works. The fact is that it isn't. After entering code on keypad, 3/4 is the button to push to unlock the remaining doors. It does not work. Pushing the Unlock button on the remote twice, does not work. Please advise.

Thanks for reply. I understand how the security system works. The fact is that it isn't. After entering code on keypad, 3/4 is the button to push to unlock the remaining doors. It does not work. Pushing the Unlock button on the remote twice, does not work. Please advise.

Is the 3/4 key used in your 5 digit code to unlock the drivers door? Or the only time you hit the 3/4 is for the 6th digit?

you likely the "standard broken splice"... lots of posts.... can affect either the complete operation or partial one. This is assuming all your doors unlock from other means/switches.

Driver and passenger switch doesn't work at all. Switch by the hatch does though

ok... well then you have "lots of broken wiring and / or splice"... again lots of post.... door post area on wiring and left rear passenger "cable raceway" on splice.

Where would the wiring be located for the keyless entry system

I dont know if this can help. But the power for windows for all doors except driver also do not work. If i hit the module really hard, the windows switchs for the driver side module will actually unlock the doors.

Where would the wiring be located for the keyless entry system

The keyless entry module, and the door lock and unlock relays, are located behind the cargo bay driver side trim panel. Remove the cover that hides the jack and look forward; you will see a relay box and a silver (probably) box with a sticker with a 5 digit code on it; that's the keyless entry module. There are separate relays for the "drivers door" unlock and "remaining doors" unlock (that's how they implement the "one push/two push" method on the remote and keypad. However, if everything works right (all doors and hatch lock and unlock) from the rear hatch lock/unlock switch, then the relays are probably OK.

Do some searches - there are lots of threads on the broken wires in the door bundles and in the driver's rear seat wiring channel.

Check out this source for excellent wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
ID: rrcc
PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Back