• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry

Kjeffery

Reaction score
City, State
Austin tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I plan to buy my first ford product on the 21st, an explorer, and coming back from easter with the family I stopped by the dealership I plan to buy at.

They had a number of limiteds with the keyless entry where you just keep the key phob in your pocket and when you grab the door handle the car unlocks.

Nice feature but today when I looked I was looking in and placed my hand on the door handle. Imagine my suprise when the car unlocked.:eek:

Now I had no electronics on me and I figured it was just this explorer until I tried everyone and they all unlocked.

They would even lock when you pressed the black button. So I made sure everyone of them was locked and sent an email to the sales manager about this.

My question is, did they unlock because the security code has not been set yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They must keep the key fobs inside the trucks someplace. Pretty foolish, but they have video surveillance.

They must keep the key fobs inside the trucks someplace. Pretty foolish, but they have video surveillance.
No, that wouldn't work. If the fob is locked inside the vehicle, it deactivates in 20 seconds and the vehicle can only be opened by another fob or the keypad.

Peter

was there a box on the outside of any of the windows... sometimes dealers keep the keys in coded boxes

was there a box on the outside of any of the windows... sometimes dealers keep the keys in coded boxes
Even if they did. The vehicle would have to be within 3 feet of the box for it to work.

Peter

Even if they did. The vehicle would have to be within 3 feet of the box for it to work.

Peter

Actually they have blue key boxes on the windows. This must be why the explorers unlocked.

Crazy if this so. On the bright side, I did get to see the insides with out being bothered.:D

It also allowed me to see which interior colors I like, like the charchol black and burnt peacan.

I wonder if it would have started? That would be a funny trick to play. Start 'em up, drive them to a different part of the lot, and then go in and ask a salesman to show you the Explorers...

Actually they have blue key boxes on the windows. This must be why the explorers unlocked.
Okay, I see now. I thought it meant a lock box attached to the dealer's building window. I've never seen boxes attached to the vehicle windows. Not a very smart thing to do with these keyless entry Explorers.
I had the same idea as Vince. Start them up and move them around.
I suggest that the dealership rethink their setup regarding the keys.

Peter

Okay, I see now. I thought it meant a lock box attached to the dealer's building window. I've never seen boxes attached to the vehicle windows. Not a very smart thing to do with these keyless entry Explorers.
I had the same idea as Vince. Start them up and move them around.
I suggest that the dealership rethink their setup regarding the keys.

Peter

i won't hold it against ya pete ;)

I wonder if it would have started? That would be a funny trick to play. Start 'em up, drive them to a different part of the lot, and then go in and ask a salesman to show you the Explorers...

It never dawned on me to see if they were keyless start explorers.

I am a rookie at practicle jokes.:(

Isn't it amazing what the dealers don't think about when leaving keys on/in cars? When shopping between the Explorer and the Highlander I found out the local Toyota dealer left the fobs in the window lockbox which allowed me to get in the Highlanders anytime I wanted to, even on Sundays. :) The Ford dealership was smart enough and removed the window lockboxes on their Limited's.

I'm sure if the car will unlock, you should be able to start it. Unless the Explorer can sense the key being slightly outside the interior, and I do know it is fairly senstive. But with the accessory power, you could roll down the window and bring the key lockbox inside the car.

I agree moving the cars around on a Sunday would be FUNNY!

Just start them all up, turn up the heat and radio full blast and walk away.....

Back