• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry

Argos587

Reaction score
City, State
WYLIE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT V6
Having issues with keyless entry with my 2001 Explorer XLT. Replaced key fob and batteries, but still having issues. It did work fine then suddenly stopped.
Was able to reprogram new fob, but the system reacted intermittently when the buttons are pushed during programming and general use.
One time it worked while holding the lock button and waving the fob around, but only once (hey, had to try something ;))
Maybe the module is not receiving the signals clearly? If so, how could I test the module function?
Appreciate any insight or suggestions.

My battery died, and had the similar issues. My fob stopped working, then kinda worked, and then nothing. I ended up replacing the RAP module with a junkyard unit. Matched part numbers both both units. All problems solved. The cost from a local pick-a-part yard was $20 since they called it a Computer Brain, and was sold AS-IS. I could have saved a bit getting one off eBay.

You could try to unplug it for a bit to see if it clears itself up. That didn't do anything in my case.

FYI: one of the harness wires might have a yellow tag attached to it showing the part number. It matched in my case, but could be different just to warn you.

To make things easy if you replace the RAP module, you could just unplug the old one, and plug the replacement in, and use zipties to secure it. That way, you don't have to deal with the removal of the interior panel.

397650Hoodswitc_00000022264.jpg

My battery died, and had the similar issues. My fob stopped working, then kinda worked, and then nothing. I ended up replacing the RAP module with a junkyard unit. Matched part numbers both both units. All problems solved. The cost from a local pick-a-part yard was $20 since they called it a Computer Brain, and was sold AS-IS. I could have saved a bit getting one off eBay.

You could try to unplug it for a bit to see if it clears itself up. That didn't do anything in my case.

FYI: one of the harness wires might have a yellow tag attached to it showing the part number. It matched in my case, but could be different just to warn you.

To make things easy if you replace the RAP module, you could just unplug the old one, and plug the replacement in, and use zipties to secure it. That way, you don't have to deal with the removal of the interior panel.

View attachment 325888
I was able to get a RAP from Ebay and all is working now. Thanks for the input.

Having issues with keyless entry with my 2001 Explorer XLT. Replaced key fob and batteries, but still having issues. It did work fine then suddenly stopped.
Was able to reprogram new fob, but the system reacted intermittently when the buttons are pushed during programming and general use.
One time it worked while holding the lock button and waving the fob around, but only once (hey, had to try something ;))
Maybe the module is not receiving the signals clearly? If so, how could I test the module function?
Appreciate any insight or suggestions.
I had that problem on 2018 Limited with 3000 miles and Ford replaced battery free(everthingelse was working) no more problem. Batter was nearly 3 years old. Tom

Back