Keyless Fob Programming help needed... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Fob Programming help needed...

zogg

Reaction score
City, State
Bethalto, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
HI

I bought a new fob for my 97 explorer and have been trying to program it...

I have read all the posts, stickys, etc, and something is not right, but I do not know where to look

I've cycled the key 8 times, then ttried 5 times, then tried up to 20 times....the door locks do not cycle.

When I bought the vehicle two weeks ago, the owner said he lost the fob years ago.

I did notice that when I use the key to unlock the driver's door, the other door unlocks as well....so, my firend said he thought that my explorer does not have the capability for the keyless remote...ugh.

Any and all help would sure be apprecieted...thanks:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:roll:

help??

If my memory serves, there is a limit to the number of remotes that the system will recognize... But first things first: Are you sure you purchased the correct fob for the truck?

I am fairly certain it is correct....the problem is that I cannot get the truck to enter the programming mode by turning the key on and off.

From the '97 service manual:
Programming

NOTE: All keyless entry remote transmitters must be set at the same time.

To program (or reprogram) the keyless entry remote transmitters into the RAP module, perform the following steps:

1. Make sure that the anti-theft system is not armed or triggered.

2. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN five times within ten seconds, ending in RUN. If the RAP module has successfully entered program mode, it will lock and then unlock all doors.

3. Press any button on a keyless entry remote transmitter, and the doors will lock and then unlock to confirm that each keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed.

4. If the door locks do not respond for any keyless entry remote transmitter, wait several seconds and press the button again. If the door locks still fail to respond, refer to Diagnosis and Testing in this section.

5. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, or wait up to five minutes after step 2, to exit program mode. If a keyless entry remote transmitter has been programmed (or reprogrammed), the RAP module will lock and unlock all doors one last time to confirm.

If you get to step-2, there is another issue, and we need to start troubleshooting. The easiest thing to check first is that the antenna wire hasn't become disconnected from the RAP module. (In the front of the jack compartment, the antenna wire is a separate wire from the other connector, similar to the one on the back of the stereo)

edit: Nevermind... if it won;t enter programming mode, there is another issue...

Yep,,,that's what I am trying to figure....ideas???

Back