Keyless or Not Keyless, that is the question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless or Not Keyless, that is the question

dzaremba

Reaction score
City, State
Lansdale, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hello all,
I recently bought a 94 XLT Explorer and it only had one key and no remote fobs, of course the dealer didn't know if the "X" had keyless remote entry or not... Question to the forum, how can I tell if the truck is set up for keyless remote or not? Is there something in the VIN or a marking on the body that would indicate that the unit is keyless capable? Or is there something I could look for under the dash or in the engine compartment like a transmitter or something that would indicate that it is keyless ready?

Also great job to all the posts, I've learned a lot about my newly purchased "X" and it has been mostly due to this forum, so keep up the great work everyone... :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try http://keylessride.com they sell on ebay and have a walkthru on their site for finding out if you have keyless or not. Also try the search here, I'm sure it has been discussed many times.

The anti-theft module is located inside the jack compartment over the LR tire. Look for it there. I think that you could go through the process of programming a remote, and if the locks did lock/unlock when they should, that might indicate the feature. Good luck,

Not sure I have ever seen a 1st gen with the keypad. Thought the only keyless offered in 1st gen was a remote. Of course just cuz I haven't seen it doesn't mean anything.

GOT IT :) Thanks !

:thumbsup: THANKS EVERYONE for the great info...:D I was able to locate the receiver as listed above..... No the truck doesn't have the door keypad..... and the website link of keylessride.com was also very helpful.... It looks like my unit is keyless remote ready, I'll be ordering up some fobs this week...

Thanks again ALL, DZ ;)

Back