Keyless remote

JS Green ST

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Track
A couple of questions...

I have a 2003 Explorer Sport Trac XLS. The remote door lock key fob never worked, so I went to amazon to buy one. Here is the weird deal - the key fob that came with the truck has four buttons. The one listed for the Sport Trac has three buttons. Thinking something is up I went to the VIN look up site and it said my XLS did not come with remote door locks. So...

Did they sell the XLS without remote door locks (I thought they all had them)?
How many buttons do your remotes have?

Thanks,

Green ST

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard of some that don't have them. If you don't have them why would you have a remote?
Three button/four button really doesn't make much difference. I've used both on my Trac.

I have no key pad on the door, and the VIN look up says the vehicle was not shipped with the keyless. Sound like the seller gave me a random key fob...

Thanks for the help everybody.

Some XLS's had keyless, some didn't. Easy way to find out is to the do the FOB programming key cycle. If the "system" responds to it, your remote will work. Late to the party it sounds like, but worth mentioning.

My dad bought a used F150 years ago. No remotes. He was insistent it never had any. So I bought a pair on ebay, programmed them. Imagine his surprise when I unlocked the door for him from 20 feet away. "what did you do to my truck".... I'm still a kid I guess.

Back