keys reprogrammed 98 explorer sport will not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

keys reprogrammed 98 explorer sport will not start

harjoblog

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 sport
98 explorer sport 2 door, SOHC

My keys and FOB were recently lost, so I called a locksmith and he brought his equipment and could not get a key made to turn the ignition to the run position, so he drilled out the old ignition cylinder and programmed a blank key that worked to start the car until I could get a new ignition cylinder. The newly programmed key worked for one day and now the car will not start. I got the new ignition cylinder, put it in had him come and cut the blank programmed key to fit it and still nothing. It will not start.
Today I had a mechanic bring another computer and clear the anti-theft code and the car still will not start. It should start, but it will not start. I am getting no fire from the spark plugs and the fuel pump isn't pumping any fuel. I've been trying to get this thing started again for 6 days. I have no clue why it will not start. I turn the key and it cranks but it never starts and ends up running my battery down.

Here is what I've tried so far:
had keys programmed
had computer cleared
had PATS anti theft error cleared
reset fuel pump under passenger side carpet
replaced battery terminals
checked relays and all fuses
tried reprogramming a key using the 15 minutes 3 times method
tried resetting by turning on and off 8 times to reset FOB (but I don't have a fob yet)

I don't know what to do. I can't find a dealer in my area that goes back to 1998 vehicles and I don't know if there is something that I am not resetting properly to get sparks from the plugs and the fuel pump to work. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the Theft light on the dash blink rapidly when you are cranking the engine?

If yes, you have an issue with PATS. here's your thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234975

If no, PATS shouldn't be a problem

It's a start, and anyone trying to help you diagnose it will need to rule out PATS

I read that thread. The theft light doesn't blink rapidly, but it has started blinking dull to bright for a few minutes before the alarm will set after it has been alarmed.

the theft light goes off as i'm cranking the engine

PATS in 1998?

If the THEFT light goes out when the starter is cranking then you don't have a PATS issue. It was my impression that PATS was not implemented until 1999.

Did your engine start reliably before you lost your keys?

With the ignition switch in Run check for battery voltage on the RD/LG wire in the connector to the ignition coil. No voltage means an ignition switch issue and not a security issue since the PCM is not involved with the ignition coil primary voltage.

Does "CHECK ENGINE" illuminate when ignition key is in Run?

Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you switch the ignition key from Off to Run?

Agreed seems you have eliminated the PATS system as your trouble

Here are the No Start threads in the list of useful threads, find them by looking under the 'Forums' tab Under "list of useful threads"

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264205

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146959

how to check fuel pressure

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182559

I read that thread. The theft light doesn't blink rapidly, but it has started blinking dull to bright for a few minutes before the alarm will set after it has been alarmed.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, you have an alarm???

Skip those no start threads and focus on the alarm system, I'm sure thats fouling you up, you have no remote for the alarm???
You won't get much help from these forums diagnosing some problem due to an aftermarket alarm causing a no start, I'm no expert on alarms, but I do know that they are designed to not allow the car to be started if they are fooled with, and they cut or splice into some important systems in order to achieve this.

that is where your problem is, hands down
completely remove that alarm, and restore the wiring to its original setup before doing anything else or you will just be wasting your time.

any light that blinks dull then bright sounds to me like it is not connected securely, or the alarm has failed and playing havoc with the bulb illumination

Agreed seems you have eliminated the PATS system as your trouble

Here are the No Start threads in the list of useful threads, find them by looking under the 'Forums' tab Under "list of useful threads"

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264205

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146959

how to check fuel pressure

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182559

Whoa, whoa, whoa, you have an alarm???

Skip those no start threads and focus on the alarm system, I'm sure thats fouling you up, you have no remote for the alarm???
You won't get much help from these forums diagnosing some problem due to an aftermarket alarm causing a no start, I'm no expert on alarms, but I do know that they are designed to not allow the car to be started if they are fooled with, and they cut or splice into some important systems in order to achieve this.

that is where your problem is, hands down
completely remove that alarm, and restore the wiring to its original setup before doing anything else or you will just be wasting your time.

any light that blinks dull then bright sounds to me like it is not connected securely, or the alarm has failed and playing havoc with the bulb illumination

It's a factory alarm and I've been looking up ways to disable it or remove it. Everything I seem to go to says "This information has been removed because for theft prevention."

I believe its something to do with the security system also, I've ordered a new remote but since it's labor day weekend, I have no idea when I'll get it.

I do have a diagram of how remote starters are installed and supposedly it will disable the PATS system to allow start but I haven't tried it yet.
It's just ridiculous that I cannot get my car to start. I bought the car used and after looking under the driver's side dash, it looks as is someone at one time had a remote starter installed and removed or tried to do something with the wires there. the red/lt blue one has been cut and spliced.

I've had a mechanic with a computer come and clear the anti-theft lockdown error code and I'm still getting nothing but the engine turning over and not starting.

If the THEFT light goes out when the starter is cranking then you don't have a PATS issue. It was my impression that PATS was not implemented until 1999.

Did your engine start reliably before you lost your keys?

With the ignition switch in Run check for battery voltage on the RD/LG wire in the connector to the ignition coil. No voltage means an ignition switch issue and not a security issue since the PCM is not involved with the ignition coil primary voltage.

Does "CHECK ENGINE" illuminate when ignition key is in Run?

Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you switch the ignition key from Off to Run?

yes before the keys were lost, the engine started and ran very well.

all of my dash lights are on when the key is in the run position i.e. battery, theft, check gauge...

I have been trying to listen for the fuel pump to run but I haven't heard it. That's why I think the PATS system still has the fuel pump shut down.

lots of fun... get some "quick start" spray and spray it in the breather/intake during a start attempt. IF it starts, then you can focus on a fueling issue, IF it doesn't then you can focus on theft and other things electrical.

I already did that and it did not start, I'm almost positive it has something to do with the anti-theft system, but the only place within 100 miles that can do anything with it, is on vacation the entire next week.

I finally got the car started and running. I did the procedures from the links you guys gave numerous times, but finally, I removed fuse 9 and kept it out for a few minutes, turned it around and put it back in and BAM, the explorer started! I don't know why taking the fuse out this time worked and didn't work all the other times. I am puzzled and baffled but relieved to have my car working again.
I thank all of you who offered information and tips.

The theft light still blinks dull to bright for a few minutes after the car is locked, before it blinks on and off. I'm not sure if this will do anything, and as soon as I can, I'm going to see if I can possibly get the PATS alarm system disabled altogether.

Hey every one, I have a '98 Explorer 4x4 that won't start, when I try to start it, It will
turn over but will not start up. (The Theft light blinks rapidly when I try to crank it), I'm sure I have the dreaded PATS problem. Not sure if its
the Key or the module. At any rate I have to toe it to the dealer. Can any one take a
stab at the cost $$ to fix this problem?

Thanks,
signman

^ sounds like your need to just get the key reprogramed. which at a dealer will be probably around 100 bucks. Dont know what it would be for the whole pats system though. did you recently reprogram a key or get a new key for the X?

Thanks for the reply Dukes193,
I have had the same key from the start. I lost the spare key a couple of years back,
I've never had to reprogram keys.
Its a '98 model - - got a lot of good years out of this X.
I know I have to toe it to the dealer and pay the price, I just wish I had another
option.

Thanks
signman

Back