kickdown cable w/ throttle body mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

kickdown cable w/ throttle body mod

raginraj

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4x4 (4.0L OHV)
There's been a lot of stuff out there recently about the ever popular throttle body mod involving zipties, fishing weights or whatever other spacers you guys have. Every now and then there is mention of doing a similar mod to your kickdown cable but nothing in detail. Some people have mentioned that if you take slack out of the throttle cable you have to do the same to the kickdown cable so that when floor the pedal the tranny will downshift. First off I'm wondering if this is necessary in the first place. Secondly, where the heck is the kickdown cable? I have a 4.0L ohv with 5 speed auto and control trac. I cannot for the life of me find that kickdown cable. My understanding is that it should be just passed the throttle assembly on the pedal and that is passes through the firewall in roughly the same area.
Anyways, if anyone can help give a guy a clue I'd really appreciate it :bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did the cable mod last week, it do work, never found a kickdown cable, maybe I do not have one but the tranny kicks down just fine

I think the kickdown cable was only for 91-94 explorers.

RR think your correct, would imagine with the 5R55E it would all be puter controlled

Most newer vehicles are electronicly controlled. So theres only a throttle and a cruise cable. Hopefully Ford wont do something stupid like change to "wire" control throttle.

I don't know dman, in reality the cable system on my 03 is 100 year technology, thus we are making dinosaur crude mods,to take up cable stretch etc, granted it works to a point.
My wifes beemer car throttle is controlled electrically, I think with a potentiometer of sorts, perhaps a better way, I dunno

Well, I guess as long as it is not Microsoft driven its all good. You know how windows likes to hang up. Imagine driving down the road, your elec system takes a glich, and BOOM!!! Your stuck at full or no throttle. lol

Ok, well that all makes sense. A 5 speed computer controlled transmission probably doesn't need any kind of physical link in order to determine a downshift point. Well I'm glad I can stop looking for it and start enjoying my throttle body mod.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hey guys does the "cable mod" apply to the 5.0's too?

Well, I did it to mine because when I was driving up inclines, you would have to put the peddle to the floor to get the tranny to kick down. That drove me nuts. I put 2 zip ties on it and it works. It kicks down a little sooner than it did before. I am happy with it

Nitrous SSC said:
Hey guys does the "cable mod" apply to the 5.0's too?

The kickdown for the trans on your year should be computer controlled. the cable only applys on the 91-94 ex

As far as throttle by wire I have a 01 F350 Powerstroke and it has worked trouble free for 215,000 mi

On subject of Kickdown, I have a '98 4.0 OHV, problem is kickdown works fine but doesn't release, quite exilerating (NOT!), anyone any similar problem or ideas as to cause. Local Ford Agent useless! Any help appreciated.
Graham, Warwickshire, England

Graham@winnards.com

Back