KKM installed; terrible gas mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KKM installed; terrible gas mileage

TheFox88

Reaction score
City, State
Flagstaff, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
Hey guys, i just installed my KKM intake the other day and since then i have been getting terrible gas mileage. I have been driving consirvativley(sp?). I have not revved high or put my foot into the throttle at all. I was under the impression that i would get better gas mileage doing this mod. Am i just crazy? Any ideas would help me greatly! Thanks in advance guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I first installed a KKM on my 4.0 SOHC, I got better mileage.

Sorry, don't have an answer for you.

Thanks anyway. Anyone else?

I didn't notice any difference at all on mine except it was louder. Waste of money for me.

did you oil it? they come pre-oiled if i remember correctly. It might have been over-oiled from KKM. i doubt it though.

it sounds like its Over-oiled, does it kinda run shoddy?

Mine i noticed a small improvment in gasmilage. maybe buy a gallon or so. Great improvment in sound :thumbsup: Power... ah, probably not...

bigger Throttle body = more POWER~!

No at idle it runs the same as before. Just a little bit of rough idle, but it was doing that before the install. When driving it doesn't seem that much different, just a little louder than what it used to be.

Did you plug the vacuum lines from the old airbox?

Is the MAF OK?

How about disconnecting the battery for awhile to reset the computer?

Make sure a spark plug wire didn't come loose when you installed the KKM.

Bob

TheFox88 said:
No at idle it runs the same as before. Just a little bit of rough idle, but it was doing that before the install. When driving it doesn't seem that much different, just a little louder than what it used to be.

It’s just a filter dude, its really not going to change much. It’s defiantly flowing better then the stock air box.

Now if your gas mileage got significantly worse, then that’s a problem...

if you want a true power gain (on the intake), look into a bigger throttle body.

I plugged the vacuum lines. I really don't know about the MAF, but i was planning on cleaning it anyway soon. I reset the computer twice and still no difference. No spark plug wires came loose, so i'm at a loss. Any other ideas? Thanks everyone.

TheFox88 said:
I plugged the vacuum lines. I really don't know about the MAF, but i was planning on cleaning it anyway soon. I reset the computer twice and still no difference. No spark plug wires came loose, so i'm at a loss. Any other ideas? Thanks everyone.

It sounds like its doing what its supposed to... It doesnt make a beasty gain of power. Just make sure its not over-oiled. That would cause a mound of problems.

How much gas-milage have you lost? Are you sure you are loosing gas milage? Gas milage shouldnt be affected that much.

Yeah i've lost about 5 miles per gallon. And since i drive 50 miles a day that can cause me some problems. Thanks everyone! Any more ideas?

How long since the last spark plug change?

Check your oil level, you might have a lower intake manifold leak... also check for some coolent around the backside of the engine and near the exhaust. Those are some symptoms of it.

Could be you getting more air, & since the ECU knows this is giving more fuel then before. That could be your drop. I had the KKM on 2 different X's & did notice a slight decrease in milage. However for me it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Alright thanks for the ideas guys; i'll be checking this stuff this weekend. Thanks again!

i HIGHLY suggest cleaning your MAS. it helps gas milage, idle, smoother acceleration and over all performance. you should do this ever couple oil changes now that you have an oiled filter.

Pull it off and see if the bad mileage remains.

what kind of mileage are you getting with the filter vs without?

Jason94sport said:
Could be you getting more air, & since the ECU knows this is giving more fuel then before. That could be your drop. I had the KKM on 2 different X's & did notice a slight decrease in milage. However for me it doesn't matter a whole lot.
I disagree....I have modified F/I Fords for years, and every car or truck I've put an intake or CAI on got better economy and power, however slight. Since the air increase is BEFORE the MAF, it is corrected to the right (Stoich) voltage, so that is not why economy decreases. If the MAF is screwed, or he has a leak in piping or vacuum, then the computer cannot correct for it, and it will run like poop.
Sorry to rant....just my $.02

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back