Knocking noise 4.6 3v | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking noise 4.6 3v

pami9899

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an 08 ford explorer 4.6 3v,116k miles,2nd owner,I have an intermittent knocking noise at hot idle, you can hear it sometimes from the cabin ,I have a video attached what do you guys think it could be ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try changing those coils.
They are aftermarket. Could be throwing off the timing.

It sounds like it might be an exhaust manifold leak which is a somewhat common problem on 4.6L 3V Explorer engines.

Check the spark plugs. One could be loose or broken. That year uses the crappy 3 piece plugs. If not, it sounds like a bad bearing on the crank. Probably a rod bearing. That would be strange for a 4.6L.

That sounds more like a bearing (what Loooney said), not exhaust or spark plugs. For a moment I thought maybe one of the timing chains hitting the front cover or valve cover. Another possibility could be valve spring ?

I am afraid taking the front cover and valve covers and inspecting everything may give you some answers.

Sounds more like a tapping than a knocking. Cam followers and lash adjusters need replaced. You can do these without retiming the engine if you have B+ skills. Wouldn't be much harder to replace solenoids and phasers while your there(could also be the noise). You'll need the cam wedge tool to get it done.

Sounds a little louder than my 126k 2010 motor. After my research I think it's the cam phaser lock pin banging back and forth slightly. If that is it, it will go away when increasing rpm. That makuloco guy recommends using the thicker 5-30w oil that will cushion that pin among other things.

Idle phaser knock noise:

I've been using 5W30 since I got my Explorer.

I have been using 5w30 ever since I bought it at 65k, now it is at 116k miles, that noise usually happen when restart the trucks while the engine, not all the time,I pop the valve cover I don't see anything abnormal

Back