Knocking Noise under Hood!!!

jamescox69

Reaction score
City, State
spotsylvania, virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
Vehicle: Wife's 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, V8, 160K miles

2days ago, heard "slight" knocking/rattling noise under hood, was NOT loud or annoying at all, figured it was car was cold. Noise did get loud ONLY on acceleration from 0-to about 30mph, then no noise whatsoever. Heard again only while idling, but not loud.

1day ago, noise is louder, but again same as above conditions, only louder. Especially at idle.

This AM, approx 430; start up, LOUD knocking/rattling. Progresses past 30mpm. I know this because once I jumped out on the road I had to push to 50-55mph, rattling/knocking very annoying, sounded like "something was loose, rattling/knocking up against hood". Noise level diminished some when I came off the accelerator/reduced speed. Knocking/rattling remained at idle and was louder and vehicle acted like it wanted to shut off. When I neared the train station, when coasting/cruising thru neighborhood, vehicle DID die/shut off; had to pull over and restart, which it did with no problem but I had to keep my foot on the gas, pulled into parking lot, shut off again. Each time I turned it back on rattling/knocking is going on and is loud.

Check engine light is on, but this has been on for a LONG time, were told just need to reset computer....(uhhh, ok)

With the louder knocking/rattling this morning the battery light came on, especially when it (the vehicle) shut off.

Oil pressure gage is reading normal levels. But I did not check oil dipstick levels (too dark and no flashlight)

Can somebody tell me what is going on? Am I in for a HUGE repair bill???? Right before Christmas???? :eek::(

thanks for your time folks!

Vehicle:
Can somebody tell me what is going on? Am I in for a HUGE repair bill???? Right before Christmas???? :eek::(

thanks for your time folks!

I'm no expert on this but from what you stated and what I've read on the subject, it sounds like your 'timing chain guides/cassettes" broke and this is a some-what common problem on 3rd generation Explorers, especially the 2002's or first year of this generation. It's and expensive repair job (replace or motor rebuild). Type that problem I stated into the search bar at the top of the forum and include the year of your Explorer and engine size, it will pull up past posts on the subject for you to read up on. BTW, I wouldn't drive it any further till you get it looked at.

Back