'Knocking' sound in front end when turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'Knocking' sound in front end when turning

floydtheduck

Reaction score
City, State
Daytona Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0L Flex F
Hi, I'm new here :wavey:

I've owned my '03 Explorer 4x4 4.0L for the last 6-7 years. I'm trying to keep it running until the engine falls out (at 165k miles now).

I've got 2 problems, I'll open up a thread for my second one as it is unrelated to the first.

I'll preface by saying I have basic mechanic skills. I change brakes and rotors (and bleed brakes), oil, spark plugs, fuel filters, etc... One area I don't have experience with is wheel assemblies (joints, axles, etc.). This is where I believe my problem lies.

When I take a turn at speed (such as approaching a left turn green and the front end being loaded from slowing down), I sometimes hear a loud 'KNOCK!' in the front end. If I turn from a stop (front end not loaded), I don't tend to hear it.
I also notice it when taking sharp turns, such as in parking lots. It's not as loud as turning in intersections, but a more frequent, knock (it knocks as the wheels roll while turned, but not as I turn them, per se). Pulling into a parking space I'll hear 'knock knock knock knock' until I straighten out the wheel and finish pulling into the space.

Another noise I've heard, which may or may not be related, is loud squeaking when going over bumps or dips in the road. I would assume this is just a squeaky, old suspension... but in case it's related, I thought I'd mention it.

A few mechanically inclined friends have told me "sounds like bushings" or "ball bearings" or "cv joints"... I don't have experience with any of those, so I don't know how I'd go about diagnosing.

I'm not against taking my vehicle to a shop, it's just I don't have a spare vehicle so if it's something I can order a part for and fix one night after work in the garage, I'd prefer to do that.

Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unload the suspension by lifting the tires off the ground using jack stands under the lower control arm forward facing
"hooks" and inspect. Start by checking lower and upper ball joints, outer tie rods, and sway bar end links and bushings.

Unload the suspension by lifting the tires off the ground using jack stands under the lower control arm forward facing
"hooks" and inspect. Start by checking lower and upper ball joints, outer tie rods, and sway bar end links and bushings.

Thanks for the quick response. Anything specific I should be looking for when I check them? Will it be pretty obvious if something is bad?

Excess movement. Search YouTube, lot's of tutorials using key words for inspecting individual components. Glad to help if I can. GL

how are your tires? a lot of times that could be the 4wd engaging in the front

Back