• Register Today It's free!

knocking sound on start up.

RoAdHoG76

Reaction score
City, State
cambridge uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 dunno
Lo all,long time since i chimed in,guess everythings been fine for a while! hope you are all well and your X's are too.Lil question to see if anyone has shared this slightly worrying experience....On starting up my X (now with 72000 on the clock and just had a full on,belt and braces service by a top class most trusted mechanic) appears to have a slight knocking coming from the belly of the engine which dissapears after a few minutes until you stop the engine,then start it again and its back for a few minutes,if you gun the throttle whiel stationary the knocking stops..most strange.Anyone had this problem?
cheers
RH76

If you have the SOHC engine then it could be timing chain rattle. If so the OOM12 kit may help. It did wonders for mine.

Im a tech for Salinas Valley Ford, you could actually just be low on oil

hi and thanks for your responses,from what i have been reading on here it is almost definitely the 00m12 kit change out that needs donig.Ihave just got it back form its full yearly service (£588,ouch!)done by some of the best mechanic i know of,its had a total oil change,transmission fluid change,new plugs,greased everything and all the other bits so its definitely not low on oil.Its was knocking before the service and its still knocking now..only for a couple of minutes then nothing.soundls A-ok again.looks like another trip to the garage for the oom12 then..oh joy.still at 72 nearly 73000miles not really so suprising. i wish ford over here would do it under warranty.
thanks again.
RH76

Back