Knocking sound passenger side under dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking sound passenger side under dash

shay616

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2011 explorer xlt. A couple of months back it started making a knocking/clicking sound whenever I unlock the door and get in. The sound stops after the car is started. The sound can be heard from the outside as well. It appears to be coming from in the dash somewhere. The sound resembles if you were in the car and were pushing the unlock button on the remote and the car is already unlocked. Can anyone give me some insight?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 explorer xlt. A couple of months back it started making a knocking/clicking sound whenever I unlock the door and get in. The sound stops after the car is started. The sound can be heard from the outside as well. It appears to be coming from in the dash somewhere. The sound resembles if you were in the car and were pushing the unlock button on the remote and the car is already unlocked. Can anyone give me some insight?
Never heard of this issue before. Does it make the noise when you unlock the doors without getting in? There are several ways to unlock the doors. Which are you using?

Peter

Maybe the remote button is getting stuck. Everytime you press the button it does not release because of the rubber and it is still pressed it without you realizing it. Use your other remote and see if this still happens.

Knocking sound

I just went out to test it. the car is locked. As I unlocked it with the remote it unlocked and then the knocking sound occurred. Its knocks about 5 times then stops. If the car is locked back it stops. It sounds like it is coming from under the dash on the passenger side. You can also hear it from the outside.

I just went out to test it. the car is locked. As I unlocked it with the remote it unlocked and then the knocking sound occurred. Its knocks about 5 times then stops. If the car is locked back it stops. It sounds like it is coming from under the dash on the passenger side. You can also hear it from the outside.
Does it make the same noise when unlocking it without the remote?

Peter

Anyone else know what this is? My 2011 Explorer just started doing this as well. It happens when you first open the door and sit down. A knock, knock, knock, knock, knock behind the dash on the passenger side closer to the middle. My wife says it is a gremlin that is in there.

Anyone else know what this is? My 2011 Explorer just started doing this as well. It happens when you first open the door and sit down. A knock, knock, knock, knock, knock behind the dash on the passenger side closer to the middle. My wife says it is a gremlin that is in there.
Does opening either door cause this?

Peter

Sounds like noise is in same area of heater blend door clicking. Don't know why heater blend door would be running when opening front doors. Just a thought.

crrobbins

Back