Knocking then smoke *engine* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking then smoke *engine*

Reaction score
City, State
Coos Bay, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Eddie Buaer
I was on my way to check out a 73 Ford when my explorer started to make some funky noise's while driving (knocking). I stopped the X while running and proceeded to look under the hood. When i stepped out of the car it died. No power whatsoever. I ended up mess'n with the battery terminal and power came back to life. I fired it up and the damn belt by the ac unit started smoking. Im thinking the ac unit froze and the belt was smoking. Any insight on a replacement belt to by pass the ac unit would be helpfull, or possibley another look on wtf happened today to my *****n X. I was thinking it was a ground wire cause I was un-able to get my new battery to work while sitting in the road dead....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it is indeed the ac compressor... then you can bypass it by using a belt for an explorer without ac

Do you kno where the best place would be to pick up a replacement belt that would bypass my ac.? Thanks for the help.

any parts store

just have them look up the belt and tell them it doesnt have ac

Sounds like the clutch on the AC locked up. As previous post states you can get a belt for the X 4.0 motor without AC.

Is there a way I could replace the clutch on the ac unit? Id really hate to loose my ac.

You need a new compressor, I don't think you can even purchase clutches by themselves. And there isn't any gaurantee that it is the compressor itself that hasn't locked up, not the clutch.

You should probably pick up some new battery cables while you are at it.

ps: please limit your signature to six lines or less

Back