KNocking without the metal shavings | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

KNocking without the metal shavings

Reballion

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer 4.0
I have a 92 ford explorer v6 4x4 5 speed. I did a oil change to it a couple weeks ago and it started making a "knocking noise" so I decided to go till next oil change and open up the filter which had no metal nor did the oil have any that I could notice. It only makes its peak loudness at 900 rpms and goes away right at 1300rpms the knock is sometimes inconsistent and doesn't get louder with any load put on it. Turning on the a/c can even quiet it down a little. So what is it? Thanks for the help!

<

arco777

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
Try to isolate where the noise is coming from. If you don't have a "mechanics stethoscope" you can improvise with a long screwdriver or long straight piece of steel. Press one end into your ear and touch the other end to various areas. You can hear the noises of individual parts that way. For example if you touch it to a serpentine belt pulley's bolt while the engine is running, you can hear the bearing for that pulley turning.

<

Frank1669

Reaction score
City, State
Oldtown Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
also While vehicle is stopped, rev engine to the 900 rpm and hold it and push the clutch in with no load on engine does the noise change? that will help check for excessive crank end play. also did it start immediately after oil change? If it did, change the filter. may have a defective bypass in filter.

<