Known Issues / Special Service Messages for 2011 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Known Issues / Special Service Messages for 2011 Explorer

sounds like your dealer is full of crap. Ask him to see the TSB on Oasis in person. If he's not. I apologize in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Battery Saver during transport

It would be nice if this feature was available to us. This would allow a person to turn off the power while storing the vehicle for more than a week. In the past I left my vehicle at the airport and left and accessory one.

sounds like your dealer is full of crap. Ask him to see the TSB on Oasis in person. If he's not. I apologize in advance.

You got it! Someone left the roof open on the car i was taking delivery on in a week where we had torrential downpours. It was their attempt to stall me, replace the headliner and dry it out. Too bad they got caught. I ended up taking delivery from a different dealer. If anyone is around ct stay clear of lombard ford. These guys are no good and are bordering on fraud. Hope they have an explanation for ford.

In ct go see sal at colonial. Great experience!

Possibly add overheating to the list.. I see 3 including myself is having the problem

New tsb for overheating
Printable View (50 KB)
TSB
11-5-18 COOLING FAN NOISE, LACK A/C AND/OR OVERHEAT CONDITION

Publication Date: May 24, 2011

FORD: 2011 Taurus, Explorer, Flex
LINCOLN: 2011 MKS, MKT

ISSUE:
Some 2011 Explorer, MKT, Flex, Taurus, and MKS vehicles equipped with dual engine cooling fans and built between 9/1/2010 and 3/14/2011 may exhibit a noise as the cooling fans wind down to a stop, lack of air conditioner performance while the vehicle is stationary or moving at slow speeds, and/or an overheat condition.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using IDS, verify the fan operates properly. (PID FAN_CTRL or FAN_DSD).
If the fan makes a squeak or squeals as it spins to a stop or if the fan does not operate, replace the cooling fan assembly. Refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 303-03.
If the fan is operating properly do not continue with this article.
Prior to releasing the vehicle, ensure the coolant level is at the proper level.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BA8Z-8C607-C Cooling Fan (Explorer/Flex/MKT)
BA5Z-8C607-C Cooling Fan (Taurus/MKS w/Dual Cooling Fans)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110518A 2011 MKS 3.7L DOHC And Taurus 3.5L DOHC: Replace The Cooling Fan Assembly Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Claim With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.5 Hr.
110518A 2011 MKT 3.7L DOHC And Flex 3.5L DOHC: Replace The Cooling Fan Assembly Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Claim With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.5 Hr.
110518A 2011 Explorer: Replace The Cooling Fan Assembly Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Claim With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.
110518A 2011 MKT, Flex, Taurus, And MKS 3.5L GTDI: Replace The Cooling Fan Assembly Includes Time To Diagnose (Do Not Claim With Any Other Labor Operations) 1.2 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8c607 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company

Great info

Thanks for the TSB, finally someone on our side willing to provide "accurate" specific info. You rock!:salute:

Has anyone noticed the rear window washer on a 2011 explorer drip water periodically on their clean window? Very aggravating! Seems that it may be related to washer fluid expansion problem!! Also tap on the metal roof just above the front windshield.....Unbelievablely tin can sound!!!

Has anyone noticed the rear window washer on a 2011 explorer drip water periodically on their clean window? Very aggravating! Seems that it may be related to washer fluid expansion problem!! Also tap on the metal roof just above the front windshield.....Unbelievablely tin can sound!!!

Yes, my rear window washer has leaked on its own on at least one occasion.

Yes!! All the time. Have you tired to wipe it off? It is kinda "sticky" it won't come off easy.

My Ford Touch Ongoing Issues

From the very beginning, I have had numerous issues, glitches, problems with the My Ford Touch system in my 2011 Explorer Limited. It has been to the dealer numerous times, I have written to Ford Corporate and have a Customer Relations representative and a Field Service Engineer involved, yet the problems persist. While the recent Sync upgrades have fixed some of the issues, I still experience major problems erratically when anything is plugged into the media hub USB ports, especially Apple products. After trying two different iPods, including trying different cables, the problems continued. The problems can be something as simple as skipping during song play, to disruption of the entire Sync system causing the system to lose the pairing with my iPhone, Sirius satellite radio malfunctions, odd error messages saying the iPod is disconnected EVEN THOUGH it is playing, and more.

So, I bought a new flash drive and loaded just two albums from my computer music library (PC based, but iTunes library) onto the Flash drive. The music played fine for awhile in the vehicle, then I noticed some skipping. Worse however, when I switched over to Sirius, the Sync screen did not show the song that was playing, had an empty field on the right where my pre-set Sirius stations normally appeared, and artwork for songs was not visible. The problem continued so I disconnected the Flash Drive. Today, the car is at the dealer with the Ford Field Service Engineer. He told me this morning that they put my Flash Drive into a similarly equipped vehicle on the lot and noticed the same skipping, and that the Sync system said it was not a compatible device. So basically, the media hub and USB portion of my vehicle is worthless.

This vehicle was marketed to work with iPhones, iPods, and more, but clearly, the Microsoft based Sync system is full of glitches and problems, that no amount of upgrades or dealer visits has solved.

I feel your frustration and have had my share of problems (2 crashes aka "Scheduled System Maintenance" in an hour today).

If the other vehicle indicated that the memory stick/USB drive is an incompatible device then the problem most likely lies in how the drive is formatted.

Are you using a Windows or Apple computer? Microsoft has used several file formats over the years (FAT 16, NTFS, etc.) and they don't always play well together. I wonder if that could be part of the problem. Does anyone know the preferred format for the Sync system?

Second, Apple and iTunes have really made things difficult for everyone else wanting to interface with their products. Heck, even difficult for users if you have more than one Apple device. Perhaps trying some other music mangement software would clear up the issues with Sync. I know- that is a work-around and not a fix and I agree that it should be 100% compatible. Blame Apple for their tight control and Ford for any claim that it is 100% functional.

Reply to RandyH2

Thx Randy, the flash drive works fine in our 2011 Mustang, which only has Sync, not My Ford Touch. And it plays fine on my computer, which is a PC. I do realize that Apple has its own idiosyncracies, but knowing this, Ford should not be marketing the Explorer and My Ford Touch as able to work with iPhones and iPods.

Further, I have had many other issues with the car, which I got at the end of December 2010 so it was one of the first built, and maybe a source of some of the issues. The cowl assembly on the windshield had to be replaced due to a broken part and severe rattling, the A-pillar on the passenger side of the windshield also was loose and had to be replaced, the mechanism that controls the power windows had to be replaced as it was leaving a sticky film on the windows that was next to impossible to clean, and of course, the rear seat recall.

It literally has been one thing after another with this car, with Sync issues from Day One and continuing nearly six months later. Ford needs to completely re-design the My Ford Touch, or abandon it and stick with Sync.

Some iPod/Flash Drive Issues Resolved

Further investigation by the dealer and the Field Service Engineer determined that the files from iTunes saved as MPEG-4 files (or M4A), which is not a file type supported by MFT. I went into my iTunes settings and saw that I was using the AAC accelerator for converting CD's that I uploaded, and for some reason, it doesn't save them as AAC files but as MPEG-4 files.

The dealer took the flash drive I was using and converted the files to MP3 format, and it played fine for over an hour in the Explorer. Now granted, AAC is supposed to be higher quality digitizing and sound than MP3, but for the time being, this may solve the issue of playing songs from my iPod....ONCE I reconvert all of the iTunes library to MP3 format.

Hopefully, the next upgrade (which Ford tells me will be a big one around June 11-12) will add MPEG-4 (M4A) file types to supported files for MFT.

It still doesn't explain why playing such file types through the entire Sync system into disarray with all kinds of errors, but it at least "answers" the music playing issue for the time being.

Well mine has been upgraded twice and lately MFT just locks up. My phone (an EVO) just doesn't talk to it. I am not happy. This is my 5th EX and this one has been to the dealer twice for the MFT problems. That is more than my other 4 were ever at the dealer.

If anyone has had the newest upgrade due a few days ago let us know how it is working.

Upgrade

I still have not heard of any upgrade, there is nothing in my Sync Update account, nor has the dealer informed me of any upgrades. Further research with Apple confirmed that the MPEG-4 is a type of AAC, which the Ford manual says MFT should support. So clearly, the engineers at Ford need to do more work on the MFT as I still cannot play my iPod without it causing erratic behavior in the MFT system.

Not happy!

onlineTsbs.jsp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You knew to access that link we need an AllData User Name and Password right?

Back