KPSquared's Project KPX Build (1992 Explorer) **LOTS OF PICS** | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KPSquared's Project KPX Build (1992 Explorer) **LOTS OF PICS**

I thought I would put a build thread on here to show what I have done to my truck and to keep track of where I've come from.

I'll start at the begining. I have been an RBV fan for a long time. Was always going to build a Bronco II but never had the cash. When I finally did have some spare monies sitting around, I realized I better build a rig I can take the whole family camping in... and still have fun wheeling so I set out to find a 1st Gen Explorer. Promised my wife it would have leather...:D

Found it for $1500 with 170,00kms on it (about 105,000 miles). It was in great shape and had leather and air...

Here she was the day I brought her home.

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

First things first, threw some 31's on black steelies on it so it looked less lame till I could gather more parts.

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

Then I started shopping. Found a 5.5" Superlift and some 35" Coopers for a great deal so I picked them up. Ordered up some 4.88's, new shocks and a few other parts and went to work.

IMG_3690.jpg

Also managed to find a rear 8.8 from a '96 for FREE...so I put that in at the same time... disc brakes for me!

IMG_3692.jpg

Welded on the new leaf mounts

IMG_3699.jpg

Cleaned stuff up and gave the areas I could a fresh coat of paint

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

Also pulled the black grill and bezels off my '90 Bronco II

IMG_3723Medium.jpg

Screwed on some fender flares, painted the diffs, and this is what it looked like when all was said and done.

IMG00008-20100128-1344.jpg

Took it out wheeling a bit and found out what rubbed... so I decided to trim the fenders.

IMG00032-20100313-1932.jpg

Still gotta screw the flare back on...

FenderTrim.jpg

Then I decided to give my stock bumper a make over ala FROADER

IMG00030-20100313-1816.jpg

Then I saw the broken treadmill lying outside on the ground and decided to add some "temporary" tube to my now chopped front bumper...

From this

treadmill.jpg

To this

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzctMjAxMDAzMTYtMjEwM.jpg

To this

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDEtMjAxMDAzMTYtMjI0O.jpg

Not much for super strength or functionality, but it looks pretty good IMHO. It's 2" x .080 wall tube. It's just temporary unitl I get my real bumper built...which could be a while.

So far all this has elapsed over about a year. More to come in the future. I'll try to keep this updated as I move along.

What, no posts? Hmmm, 92's are passé I guess. Looks great!

Like you, I am now the proud owner of a 1992 Ford Explorer 4X4. The "X" as I like to call it, has 115,000 original miles and was owned by an airline pilot. Complete records and meticulous care. Only a few mechanical issues exist as X sat for a while before I picked it up. Gonna do a moderate off road build with a 5" Duff stage 3 lift, 32" tires on 15x8 rims, nerf bars, custom front bumper with winch and a custom rear bumper with jack and tire mount. Roof rack, sound, blah, blah, blah. I'll post a build diary once started.

nice start. I'll watch your progress

Installed my rear Aussie the other day. Bolted on a couple of 8" Pro-comps to my front bumper. Made some removeable mud flaps. Still haven't welded my temporary stinger on. Got all the parts for my c-clip eliminator so I can install my front Aussie now. Oh, and I got a couple new stickers... +10 HP!!! woo hoo! So far, so good!

IMG00071-20100423-2034.jpg

8InchProComp130s.jpg

IMG00132-20100626-2202.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2353Medium.jpg

Till next time...

Back