Kris Guilbeaux' 1992 Explorer XLT project is Home | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kris Guilbeaux' 1992 Explorer XLT project is Home

Here is a picture of us loading the monster on the trailer to get here home to Victoria Tx where the 2wd will under go a complete rebuild. I will keep every one posted as the project comes about. The plans might change since the truck needs a lot of work. I would also like to Thank Michael and Randall for all there help getting the Truck to its new home.

Here are the Plans for the Explorer:

T-case: BW 13-54 manual t-case
Front:
Dana 35
extended Radius arms.
Skyjacker Lift
1" body lift to clear future Atlas 2
5.13 gears
ez-locker.
I am also looking into stronger axle shafts.
Warn manual hubs
Rear: 8.8 5.13 gears with powertrax locker from Navajo
rear disc brakes

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those gears sound sweet. That is the lowest in an X I have heard of. Is top speed like 10? I am glad the mounts worked. If you can post some pics it would be helpful. I flexed it out today and think my shocks are to long- That is why it keeps breaking.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The 5.13 are great around town so far I have not had it on the hwy. Still doing the fine tuning on the Brakes. I think a lot of people get scared to go with 5.13 cause they are the lowest you can go. but if you have 36" tires or bigger these are some thing you will benifit from even on the hwy. The Truck will drive just fine on the hwy at 70mph @ 2800 rpm with my 36" swampers. Last night I was getting some shakes but I think I have that figured out.

Originally posted by Kirby N.
Mudd*****- Where did you put them at? Top or bottom of the axle housing? Are they out close to the spring pads? Did it solve the problem on them or are the shocks still in a goofy spot?

They are immediately to the inside of the sway bar mounting pads. The mount to the underside of the axle tube, facing directly toward the rear of the vehicle so as to not lose any ground clearance. Goofy spot? I'm not sure what you mean. I would have preferred them to be stud mounts like Kris's, but I got the other kind instead.

thanks for replying Mudd*****. Your truck is very cool. Are they the kind that mount with a bolt through them. Like these?Dead Link Removed
Are they at an angle like that (less of an angle because it sounds like yours are closer to the pumpkin), That took somegrinding on the mounts or did you just weld them on? Did you do anything to the top mount? by "goofy" I meant do they put alot of stress and bindage on the shock bushings or do they work well? Thanks.

yeah, they are goofy. I just stuck them on there, not really thinking about it. Here's a pic:
attachment.php

I took the X on the hwy today with speeds as fast as 75mph. I was running about 2900 rpms at 75 so from wha tI can tell this thing is good for the Hwy.

Kris, I saw your mounts in the Gallery- they look good. I think I'll do the same thing in when I have access to a welder.

I replaced all my wheel bearings on saturday and My Lock nut/ bearing not deal is all jacked up. The Lock washer like threaded itself and does nothing now.
So I was thinking about your lock nut thing- Why can't we use the auto set up with the little key? That sucker would not loosen! I know because the first time I took my hubs apart- I tried! I don't think that there would be a problem- I am going to the yard tomarro to do some research anyway- What do you think?

If it works, it will save some people money- You don't have to buy the conversion kit when you convert to manual.

Kirby,

I though the Same thing but I found that the Auto hubs spindle nuts have a flaw. THe Manual Hub will not fit over the auto hub spindle nut. You would have to modify them to fit inside the Manual hub. This could cause them to be much weaker then the Convertion kit. But if you can find a way to make it work I am all for it.

That Sucks! Good to know though. I might see if I can find one anyway and work on it. Maybe machine on it or something? I have to take off my hub again and look at the nut, so it is worth a try.

Kris, that is what the manual hub "conversion" kit is for. You get a new spindle nut.

Chris

I have the Manual Hub kit in fact I have never had an auto hub. But I did take the Auto hub spindle nuts to make a better conversion kit for the Manual hubs. The conversion kits back off too easy if you run a tire bigger then 32's

Originally posted by Kris Guilbeaux
The conversion kits back off too easy if you run a tire bigger then 32's

That could be my problem (I have to tighten 'em all the time). Did you post how you made a better nut out of the auto hub nut? If not, then how did ya do it?

Chris

I was not able to make the one that would work (I wish I could). I modified my Conversion kit for my Explorer so that it has set screws. That way I can run my 36 swampers with the manual hubs. Hopfully I wont have a problem.

Kris.....got any pictures of the almost finished project??

I am going to take a few pictures this coming up next week. I will post as soon as I take a few.

Good deal....sounds like its real nice!!!

started swapping in the dana 35 today

Here are pictures from the day. I wound have done more but I was missing a few parts I should finish putting it back together on Thursday.

97start-med.jpg

97midway-med.jpg

97sofar-med.jpg

Looking good .....very good:D

The is now back on four wheels today. I might go out in a bit a take a few pictures. Now the Front is taller... :rolleyes: The Truck needs an Alignment bad...

97frontsuspension.jpg

Back