Krylon Fusion and Factory paint (need your opinion!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Krylon Fusion and Factory paint (need your opinion!)

Alright, so I got 4 cans of black gloss Krylon Fusion. I also have 2 cans of the exact factory paint (by color code) for my truck (yikes! $30 a can!). Well anyways, so I have those 6 cans and some rubbing compound, oh and also a can of clear coat specifically for the factory paint (I have more cans of clear just for normal use too).

I just got done finishing restoring my step bars... I'm also wanting to paint all my tupperware and the front/rear bumpers. Here's where your opinion comes in, enough babbling.

I honestly can't afford much more of this factory paint, so these are my options:

Use factory paint on tupperware, Fusion on bumpers, or vice versa. What would you do? Yes, I know factory all around would look the best, but if worse comes to worse, I suppose I could just paint my tupperware now and wait on the bumpers for more factory paint.

How off does the gloss black Krylon Fusion from the factory color? Obviously there's a difference... as said in the paragraph above.. what would you do?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The model number for the Harbor freight Gun was 43430-28NA. It sells on sale for $50. It needs a lot of air though.... I was painting a bumper is why I could get away with it. For big jobs I'll always prefer my Sharpe Platinum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also need it for painting a bumper on the Explorer as well as an old motor scooter that's sitting in my garage. You are certainly right about the need for a lot of air for your unit. Its requirements are listed as 9.5 - 14.8 CFM. That's more then my compressor can provide. However they seem to have a similar unit model number 90977-0VGA requiring only 5.91 CFM and that my compressor can accommodate. Do you have any thoughts or experience with that product.

Thank you!!!

Cannot say that I do. I DO have their little detail gun - the top feed HVLP model, and it only uses 3.7 CFM. For a bumper and a scooter (or trim work too) it would do the job nicely. If I was painting trim I'd also look into an airbrush. The Harbor Freight little Badger knockoff works like a champ for $5. HTH.

I checked the model you listed on their website. It looks like a SATA or IWATA knockoff. The SATA is an excellent high end gun, and if their other knockoffs are any indication, I'd try THAT gun in a heartbeat for $60!!

(tip - try slightly over pressurizing the gun by 4 to 5 lbs and see how it affects the finish. On some guns it actually improves atomization - on others it just increases overspray)

From your experience, which of the two guns, the “standardâ€￾ or the detail gun would do a better job for the application I listed? The Explorer bumper you are familiar with, but the scooter parts are anywhere from a high of 4 ft x 2 ft section, and on the small end a 4 inch x 8 inch section. I am concerned with major overspray using the standard HVLP gun on the smaller pieces, or the Explorer bumper for that matter. On the other hand, can the detail gun easily accommodate the large size pieces? I have no idea what the coverage (spray pattern) of the detail gun is. Is it comparable to a spray can or is it narrower? For that matter does it even hold enough paint to complete the large size sections? I believe the detail gun you’ve mentioned is part number 46719-1VGA and it appears to be on sale at Harbor Freight for $39.99. I appreciate any additional information you can give me on this subject.

Thanks!!!

You ask a tough question. Let me try and answer it generally first, then give you my ideas on your situation later.

First off, it makes zero sense to own a gun you cannot adequately supply with air. So you should to start, know what amount of air you can reliably supply. Also you need to make sure you filter out any moisture. A compressor constantly running will supply heated air, and heated air will have moisture that is nigh on impossible to separate. So first off, AIR and moisture separation.

Secondly, the kind of gun will of course, be dictated by the project. Just as you wouldn't paint a plastic model airplane with a full size gun, neither would you paint a car with an airbrush. The detail gun is in between but far closer to the full size gun than the airbrush by a long shot. In a perfect world, you'd own all 3. Over the years I've acquired 7 or 8 guns of various types and sizes, and still use most of them at times. The problems in using a gun that is too big is control (applying too much paint or having to work too quickly to do the project justice.) While there is more overspray with a bigger gun, this is less a problem on HVLP setups, and I'd not rank that high on my list of worries - just mask well. The problems of using a gun that is too small is excessive time to apply the paint, requiring multiple passes and often resulting in "tiger stripes", also you may be refilling a lot, and on some paints... they dry quickly and you like to be shooting into a wet "edge".

If you can only own ONE gun, and didn't plan to ever paint cars or even full panels, and had just told me what you have, I'd probably opt for the detail gun. Between the fluid adjustments and pattern adjustments you can pretty much go from a small area of application up to to a full fan that would work for larger items. In fact, you COULD paint a car with it - I'd not want to watch that agony, but it would be possible.

The other benefit of the detail gun is that it would nicely model a bigger gun in terms of controls and practices - using far less paint. Play with it. get a big piece of cardboard and some cheap paint and fool around with it, exploring the controls etc... only way to learn. Practice your technique - speed/distance, evenness of both through the stroke, etc.

I hope this was useful.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me a basic understanding of the HVLP guns. I really appreciate your effort. With that I think I will move ahead and purchase the detail gun.

Thanks again!!!

Back