Krylon Fusion and Factory paint (need your opinion!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Krylon Fusion and Factory paint (need your opinion!)

Alright, so I got 4 cans of black gloss Krylon Fusion. I also have 2 cans of the exact factory paint (by color code) for my truck (yikes! $30 a can!). Well anyways, so I have those 6 cans and some rubbing compound, oh and also a can of clear coat specifically for the factory paint (I have more cans of clear just for normal use too).

I just got done finishing restoring my step bars... I'm also wanting to paint all my tupperware and the front/rear bumpers. Here's where your opinion comes in, enough babbling.

I honestly can't afford much more of this factory paint, so these are my options:

Use factory paint on tupperware, Fusion on bumpers, or vice versa. What would you do? Yes, I know factory all around would look the best, but if worse comes to worse, I suppose I could just paint my tupperware now and wait on the bumpers for more factory paint.

How off does the gloss black Krylon Fusion from the factory color? Obviously there's a difference... as said in the paragraph above.. what would you do?

Thanks, much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Krylon paint is crap, period. Save up to do it all with factory paint or don't do it at all. That's my opinion.

Originally posted by Hartman
Krylon paint is crap, period. Save up to do it all with factory paint or don't do it at all. That's my opinion.

werd

Sounds logical. Returning all these Fusion cans will get me another order of some factory.. guess that's what I'll do.

Thanks guys. :)

are your step bars rusting too? i'd like to see step by steps and the outcome of this. :)

The only rusted part of the step bars was the brackets themselves. I lightly sanded them and just painted over it.

If you want, I can write a little something up, though I didn't take any pictures while in the process, just a before and after product. Ended up putting 2 coats of Satin Black Rustoleum over both bars, worked out great, should get them put on later today once they dry. Oh and BTW, major reason I'm doing all of this, is that I ran over a spray paint can (white on a black truck, yeah) about 4 months ago, the neighbors are just slobs. So basically all my tupperware and bars were painted nicely white for free. The entire side of the truck was white though, used a few bottles of nail polish remover and paint is still in perfect condition.

I'll write something up a little later tonight.

my step bars are rusted around the black "grippy" part on top where it says explorer...around there and around the end caps where the 2 peices meet up.

considered taking them off...but not sure if theres the gray trim colored paint in a rattle can

I'm quite positive they make that gray color in spray paint.. nonetheless in Rustoleum... look around your local hardware shop. Heck, try Pep Boys/Autozone, they usually have the most common paints for cars.

Got a good picture of your grey trim?

Any color can be matched and put into an aerosol can.

Buy the time you buy all these cans of spray bomb paint you can problely buy one of those cheap spray guns at Lowes or home dept. and then go to an auto paint store and get the paint that should be on there and it'll last longer for you.

Originally posted by bubbatruck78
Buy the time you buy all these cans of spray bomb paint you can problely buy one of those cheap spray guns at Lowes or home dept. and then go to an auto paint store and get the paint that should be on there and it'll last longer for you.

Definately the method of choice.

Originally posted by bubbatruck78

Amen. I spent damn near $80 on spray cans for my bumpers. Had I know it would have been that much, I would have bought a paint gun and compressor in a heart beat.

Krylon worked great for me. My tupperware never looked so good! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

The fusion paint is good stuff. Used it on plastic yard furniture and it lasts .
I would paint the X plastic w/fusion and then just put a "cover coat" of the factory paint if the color is different.

Whatever you do make sure you use an adhiesion promoter, I painted my cladding a year ago using SEM flexible cladding paint, is still in perfect condition.
My edit: adhiesion promoter only if not previously painted

I just painted a rubber front bumper on a Suburu. It had been driven into a few barriers and the paint was starting to flake. For a good PPG urethane base (dcc), with flex additive,the materials cost $115. Course of the pint of color and the other cans of hardener, reducer and flex, I only used about 1/4 for 3 wet coats... added some clear to the final coat. Looks factory (was color matched to the factory paint code). I offer this only to give you an idea of material cost for small jobs. It's tough to buy SMALL quantities. Anyone need Suburu "Glacier White" ? (grin)

p.s. In the For what it's worth category - on this job I used my cheap Harbor Freight HVLP knockoff instead of my usual expensive Sharpe Platinum. I was rather impressed... a little more orange peel, but overall not bad at all.

What was the model number of the Harbor Freight HVLP unit you used? There are about 9 of them listed on their website. Thanks for the info!

How do you actually apply the paint all around, using what????

skinz said:
How do you actually apply the paint all around, using what????

Krylon is in rattle can format. Therefore, shake, rattle, and ..spray :D
Turn :roll: into :exp: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about the factory paint?

Back