Krylon Fusion: Pillars

bigapple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS Touring
i decided today was a good day to take care of the pillars since they have bothered me for the last time... heres the process

220 grit dry sand
1000 grit wet sand
2 coats krylon fusion gloss black
2 coats minwax gloss polyurethane

gm002.jpg

gm003.jpg

gm005.jpg

gm012.jpg

gm013.jpg

gm014.jpg

gm015.jpg

gm011.jpg

did a little exhaust cleaning too... those considering the 3 1/2'' rolled chrome magnaflow tip should check this out

gm008.jpg

gm009.jpg

gm010.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks nice but you should have used clear coat. That over time will crack and peel.

haha woops... i guess this will be a trial and error and we'll find out the hard way... last time i tried a clear coat, i mustve bought a ****ty kind, but it fogged up and made the black look terrible... so ive been trying this... we'll see what happens i guess

Overall not too bad, I'll have to look for the clearcoat I had used before because what I had used turned out good my old 92ex the roof seemed as if it had no clear coat anymore so I cleaned it well and clearcoated it and turned out great I'll find out what brand it was for ya.

Overall not too bad, I'll have to look for the clearcoat I had used before because what I had used turned out good my old 92ex the roof seemed as if it had no clear coat anymore so I cleaned it well and clearcoated it and turned out great I'll find out what brand it was for ya.

much appreesh... the polyurethane has worked well on other things ive done but then again the other things havent sat in the sun for hours at a time... i guess we'll test it with time

Nice job. Definitely on my list of things to do to my truck. Way down on the list, but on the list nonetheless. ;)

they just opened up a couple locations here about 6 months ago.

they just opened up a couple locations here about 6 months ago.

damnnn didnt kno that at all... i thought they were only a louisiana franchise... nice dude nice

It rained... that just looks glossy.

Glossy Krylon for the area where the wipers are. Does that need to be removed, or can the tape and paper work? I'm doing this in the morning...

Glossy Krylon for the area where the wipers are. Does that need to be removed, or can the tape and paper work? I'm doing this in the morning...

i did it a while back and its not hard at all... it splits in half at the middle to where there r 2 sections... take the wipers off first... there should be a little tab on the edge of them where they clip on... pull back the tab and pull straight up... then if u pull on the plastic inserts they should pop rite off... make sure u put a clearcoat cuz mine have faded since ive done them (about a year and a half)

Easy to remove...

So far... How's it looking? How many coats? This is alright!

lookin much better... nice and glossy

Lookin good! I just did my pillars also, it makes such a big difference!

Alright!

Dry time? It's about 70+ outside, and they are in the sun...

They will be dry to the touch in about 20 minuites, and you could put on another coat on then if the mood strikes you. I would let them sit for about an half hour/hour after the last coat before re-installing, though, just to make sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! I'll need to add another 20 minutes... I had a small mishap moving the box :)

Back