L.E.D.s for an underbody kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

L.E.D.s for an underbody kit?

hey guys, i was wonderin if any one would have any ideas on placing low voltage ( 3.5-12 volt) LEDs under da EX for a underbody kit look. i had a few extra blue LEDs lyin around, and messed around with em, and hooked them up with 4.5 volts, and they look alright, besides bein different colors... one is blueish green, one is blueis purple and the other 2 are purple. i would like them to all be one color...blue. i figure i need 2 on each sid of the EX, and 2 in the front of the EX. but i am not sure where to get the LEDs nor what kind to get. any ideas? the reason for this is that i wanna b different, and don't wanna spend over $150 dollars for an underbody kit that i am just gunna break the first time i go and have a lil fun in my EX. and i have had these 4 LEDs under it for over a month now, and they are still there, and i have had, ALOT of fun in it! ;)
all opinions welcome! thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is actually a new LED underbody kit (that is a little pricy as of now) from www.plasmaglow.com

However, the effects are amazing .....it is 7 different colors and there are 9 different modes you can have it in, including strobe, music, chase, fade, etc.

you should check it out

Carleton

a 4 led underbody kit? does it give out any light? id do like 15 per side if i was doing it

Doing your own probably won't yeild the desired results....

The new PG kit is very advanced from what i hear...

You won't obtain that horrible "led dot" on the road (because the led is too bright and produces a circle of light rather than a nice glow). The new PG kits have special reflective material that helps scatter th elight

Also, there are 500 LED's in the 4 tubes...

Carleton

:eek:

yes, they do put out light, some, more than others. to avoid having that small diameter "dot" of light, i have placed them at opposite ends of the vehicle, and point them twards eachother, producing a long oval about 18 inches wide. with one led, in very low light, you can see them VERY well, but if you are under a street light, then iit is just a light glow of blue color on the ground, that is why i would like to get some more and put under there. thanx for all the replys. i checked out the PG kit, but that is WAY!!! outta my price range!! lol.. i think i am going to go back to radioshack and purchase 5 or so more blue 6v max leds; they are the ones that are kinda aqua blue colored:confused: but they put out the brightest light, and are only $2.99 a piece. the other leds that i have under there are from the old set of "tireflys" i took off because they earned me 4 warning tickets! lol well, g'night! thanx again!
oh, and if ne of you were wonderin how they are hooked up, they are tied into an extra variable voltage cigaret adapter for a personal CD player that i had lyin around. i just set the voltage to 4.5 volts and there she glows;)

Back