• Register Today It's free!

l/s diff acting up

punkbek3886

Reaction score
City, State
Vero Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
the axle code inside the door of my 91 ex sport is d4, which means i have a limited slip differential. today i went offroading and i got into a jam and one of my rear wheels was spinning while the other wasn't. for the limited slip to work do the wheels have to be spinning over a certain speed for it do its thing? or is my car just messed up and i need to get a new limited slip?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Judging by the age of your explorer, I would say it's time for a rebuild. The rebuild kit is about 80 bucks. Not sure how much labor would be.

i would do my own rebuilding. ive already been in the diff to change the fluid. what does the rebuild kit include? and what would need rebuilding most likely?

rebuild replaces the clutches in the LS.... while its out you can also try shimin them so you have more break away tourque

I just did this a couple of weeks ago; had a thread on it in under the hood (Dead Link Removed) got links to a couple of write ups and such, it's not too bad of a job, especially since the dealer quoted me $600 labor for the job.

Back