Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Scott B. passed through Albuquerque last night on his way home from our Mojave and Death Valley trip so with a little convincing he stayed for a quick trail run this morning.

La Bajada Hill is located between Santa Fe and Albuquerque off I25 in New Mexico. It is the old route that travelers used to go up and down the big hill. Former member Jack Lobdell wrote an article on it many years ago for 4WD&SU Magazine where I first gained interest in this trail.

Near the start of the trail and a great viewpoint

m_DSC01266.jpg

m_DSC01264.jpg

m_DSC01270.jpg

This trail makes a loop about halfway up the mesa. I had never done the right side before so we turned right and kept going. The right side is much rockier than the other half of the loop and it offered some great views.

Sun glare but this is almost to the top

m_DSC01272.jpg

The top

m_DSC01274.jpg

Scott coming across the top of the mesa

m_DSC01282.jpg

First switchback going down. You can see where the road builders built up the walls to make the road suitable for passenger cars to travel many, many years ago. Now the road is a 4WD trail only. Cochiti Lake is in the background.

m_DSC01286.jpg

Scott coming down

m_DSC01287.jpg

Scott coming through an off-camber tippy spot. It felt worse going out than going in.

m_DSC01289.jpg

Some petroglyphs along the side of the trail

m_DSC01294.jpg

And finally back to the old bridge and the small village/ghost town of La Bajada

m_DSC01297.jpg

For past discussion and runs of this trail look at this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18677

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I just seen this..

..Looks like you guys had some fun...:D

Back