Labor hours | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Labor hours

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
How many labor hours is it to replace a single control arm? Assuming times two for both. Guessing somewhere around one to two?
Has anyone attempted to replace themselves? Scares me a bit looking at Flex and Edge arm replacements online in the rust belt....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many labor hours is it to replace a single control arm? Assuming times two for both. Guessing somewhere around one to two?
Has anyone attempted to replace themselves? Scares me a bit looking at Flex and Edge arm replacements online in the rust belt....

According to MR Google it cost around 1700 to 2000 bucks. I will have to ask what is so wrong with your control arm it needs to be replaced? Most of the time you can rebuild it with bushings and a ball joint. Nether one is hard to do if you have the tools and the time. Ford Explorer Control Arm Replacement Cost Estimate

That sounds very high. These are disposable arms and bushings, no rebuilding.

That sounds very high. These are disposable arms and bushings, no rebuilding.

I just did a quick Google on it. Are they the uppers the lowers or the rears? I have rebuilt them with bushings and ball joints before for the uppers. The lower and the rears I have never done. Either way they are not really hard to do if you have t he correct tools.

Did you look at the link it states two labor hours, parts are 1600 plus

Fronts, uppers (larger ones I think), at 137k my ball joints are probably tired. Not going to just replace the bushings as will need a press or similar. Just concerned about the rust buildup.

Easy enough. Head to Autozone or the car parts store and they have a Ball Joint press. The rust will not affect anything. I have taken the uppers off to replace the ball joints because I have a arbor press. I didn't have to replace the bushings just pulled the bolts and popped it off. Some auto shops will press the bushings and ball joints out and in for you pretty cheap. If you want to replace them all. If the control arm is really rusted find a shop with a sand blaster and have them clean it. You can paint it. I am sort of lucky I have the sand blaster and the presses to do these types of jobs myself.

Back