Lack of Low Gear in the Sport

BlakestaExpo

Reaction score
City, State
Nassua, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' XLT
Hello All,

2015 Explorer Sport set to be delivered early October, and I'm running through a check list of items in anticipation of receiving it.

I remember in my 2002 Explorer you had the push button transfer case which allowed you to put the car in 4X4 LOW for heavy pulling. I used this feature a hand full of times to pull a Jeep out of the snow filled ditch, a f-150 buddy off the sand, and a tree stump that wouldn't budge.

The main reason I bought the explorer sport was its utility as both an SUV with a sportier look and feel. However, It appears ford has done away with the transfer case in these new designs and leaves me puzzled as to what I would do faced with similar situations.

Anyone have any insight into this? It doesn't seem even the new sport has a locking diff to lock the wheels in 4 wheel drive and I have little faith in the selective terrain management given its spotty history with Rovers.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you are looking for 4x4 low, this is not the vehicle for you. The AWD system works pretty well and I've had no issues in the winter going through anything Mother Nature has thrown at us. But as said, it is AWD system that kicks in automatically when needed but acts primarily as FWD. It has the ability to put power to any wheel that is needed.

With the low clearance and unibody design, it is really not an offloading machine.

Hell, I've had trucks with 4x4 and 4low since 2005 and have only needed to use it once.

Hello All,

2015 Explorer Sport set to be delivered early October, and I'm running through a check list of items in anticipation of receiving it.

I remember in my 2002 Explorer you had the push button transfer case which allowed you to put the car in 4X4 LOW for heavy pulling. I used this feature a hand full of times to pull a Jeep out of the snow filled ditch, a f-150 buddy off the sand, and a tree stump that wouldn't budge.

The main reason I bought the explorer sport was its utility as both an SUV with a sportier look and feel. However, It appears ford has done away with the transfer case in these new designs and leaves me puzzled as to what I would do faced with similar situations.

Anyone have any insight into this? It doesn't seem even the new sport has a locking diff to lock the wheels in 4 wheel drive and I have little faith in the selective terrain management given its spotty history with Rovers.

Your 2002 was a real 4x4 and unless specifically offered and purchased, any Ex is AWD, not true 4x4.
They do offer the Ex 4x4 model, it does some heavy pulling on your wallet.:D (dont know if avail in the Sport trim)
On Fords site check inventory, select dealer/area & option 4x4, your choice of cars will drop from a whole bunch to very few.

Turning off traction control and snow tires in the winter might help but as mentioned, yo are not gonna get that locking diff. AWD is really more like 3wd.

When I traded in my 2002 explorer a locking diff on AWD systems or a real 4WD system was a must have.

I guess I let that slip my mind in how bad I wanted this truck - hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt.

I suppose my need for it has decreased over the years. Last time I used it my buddy was cut off, went airborne and landed on top of a huge snow pile from a plow. He called me and we snapped a 10,000LB tow line on the first try - only chains got the job done on the second pull. 4X4 Low came in very handy then.

I think I'll just use this one for what it was designed.

You want low range, you need to buy a truck. This is basically a station wagon with better traction than my Dad's 1964 Chevy Bel Air

Like others have said, the Sport isn't something you'd want to take 4x4ing although the reviews I've seen have been somewhat surprising if you take them with a grain of salt. Ground clearance (especially approach and departure angles at the front and back) is going to be a very limiting factor in my opinion. Like others said, if wanting a low gear and the mindset and capabilities that are often associated with it is something you want, you might want to look elsewhere. I don't know about anyone else, but when I think of my Sport the first thing that comes to mind is surprisingly good car-like handling, above average acceleration, and a smooth & quiet European ride quality. Definitely not words I'd use to describe a 4x4 by any stretch of the imagination.

Tony

Hello All,

Buy a full frame real SUV [i.e Expedition, Yukon, Tahoe, 4Runner, some Jeeps]

Probably the only one in the size class of the Explorer is the Toyota 4Runner. But they are pretty ugly next to the EX.

Back