• Register Today It's free!

Ladybug infestation; any advice?

SpyrDragon

Reaction score
City, State
Owensboro, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
I wasn’t sure where to post this and I haven’t been able to find any good advice while searching google, but as the title says, here’s my issue. My 97 seems to have a infestation of ladybugs somewhere. Since it’s been warming up around here, every time I go out to my truck, there’s dozens of ladybugs all over my front windows. As much as I try removing them, there still seems to be more every day. I suspected they were in the front door panels as they always seem to be crawling out between the window seal so I removed both door panels and vacuumed it out, but there wasn’t anything in there. I really rather not have to tear the whole interior apart to get rid of them. I wanted to try using a fogger, but supposedly they don’t work on ladybugs. Has anyone had this happen? Anyone have any good advice on what I could do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you leave your windows down for a few days?

Maybe get rid of the aphid infestation so they don't have anything to eat? :D

They have insecticide that works for lady bugs, I know it seems cruel but that may be your best bet. D-fense SC seems like a good choice, it's odorless, doesn't stain but is a little pricey. Good luck!

Now that is a first
There are worse things to get infested with I guess
Keep us posted!

I'm not a ladybug expert, but do have a garden and observe them every year. I find that they only lay eggs where they had a food source, and migrate outward from that location.

I doubt that there was a food source (aphids, etc) inside your vehicle, so the odds are that they are just roaming, looking for food. This is a finite event, they shouldn't become greater and greater in numbers with a growing swarm beyond the amount from eggs already laid last season, "as far as I know". It's not like ants where a group moves to build a new colony and stay there (as long as there's food which there isn't even in this case).

My point is that I don't see any benefit in fogging/etc, which will just leave dead ones everywhere. I'd just let them leave on their own instead, and they'll move on elsewhere to find food, though I don't know the extent of your problem. At first I wasn't even clear on whether there were many inside the vehicle or just on the outside?

In three weeks they'll be gone so thankfully it's only short term. Wait till you have a hoard of fire ants inside your vehicle then lets see how fast you exit that truck :)

LOL. My house (specifically one small room) get's infested with lady bugs every spring. This has been happening yearly for every one of the almost 20 years I've lived in the house. I just scoop them up everyday or two and toss them outside. Ladybugs are considered "good bugs" as they eat other bugs, do no damage and are considered good luck.

They're feeding on all those cheetos you have stashed in that truck. Plant an Ash tree in your yard and see how many lady bugs it attracts.

Perhaps an Ozone Generator?

Team TARDIS

Find the nest and get the shop vac out? In some areas Ladybugs are considered an invasive species. I've seen photos of people vacuuming and then flushing down the toilet. Yes cruel as ladybugs have many benefits, but again, are not always a native species.

Coronavirus....lady bug infestation ....what is coming next !?

In some farming states, it's illegal to kill Ladybugs as they help rid or control aphids, mealybugs and other destructive insect pests. California, Kansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee are just a few that I can think of so be careful.

Find the nest and get the shop vac out? In some areas Ladybugs are considered an invasive species. I've seen photos of people vacuuming and then flushing down the toilet. Yes cruel as ladybugs have many benefits, but again, are not always a native species.
They don't create a nest per se, eggs are almost always deposited on the back of plant leaves, and they don't directly hatch from egg to ladybug state. When they hatch they are a nymph, that eventually pupates into a beetle, sort of like a butterfly does.

Invasive, depends on how you classify it. They don't eat plants, just tiny insects like aphids, mites, white flies (all crop pests) so there is no crop harm, even a great benefit. For this reason I welcome them in my garden, but indoors, they are a nuisance because if you step or sit on them, it will stain carpet, upholstery, clothing, etc.

UHDH4HCH9HHRWHUZ5L1ZPHUZRL1HHL8ZZL6ZLLOHRLUZ9HLRMLUZILNZLL5Z5HZRWHJH2HHR9HVZ8L[1].jpg

Be grateful they're ladybugs- I bought my 2002 in the middle of winter without realising it was full of yellowjackets!

I've been a car owner and home owner for most of my 54 year old life and learned just last year that the least expensive, safest and most efficient way to get rid of soft shell insects like ants, wasps, bees and ladybug is to use ordinary dish soap mixed with water. This can be sprayed directly on insects and will kill immediately. It is amazing how well it works. Apparently they breathe thru their skin/shells and the soapy water clings and drowns them. Now, there are some benefits to having ladybugs around, but probably not in your vehicle. I also read that ladybugs are attracted to light colors, but I'm guessing yo do not want to repaint your truck or change out the interior to solve the problem. Best of all, the soapy water mix sprayed on the inside or outside of vehicle will not hurt anything.

Back