Lag between pedal, and engine response??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lag between pedal, and engine response???

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
So since I can remember my Explorer has had a lag between me pushing the pedal, and the engine responding to it. For normal driving, it's not so noticeable, but when going up a hill, or passing somebody, it is very noticeable.

For example when I go to my college everyday I go up this large hill, and I hate being that person who is going up the hill at 20MPH, when the speed limit is 45, so I push the pedal, and 1, 2, 3, 4, seconds later the engine responds to it. It responds well, so I believe that the mechanical portion of the engine is in good shape, But is just responds slowly. I am uncertain if I am the only one with this problem, or if this is common.

I was just tossing idea around, and I thought that possibly the Throttle Position Sensor is maybe worn out? But on the other hand I think that if I am opening it up farther then normal, then there should be no problem because it is used less. I am fairly certain that all the TPS is a variable resistor. So does anybody else have any ideas? I am in a class right now regarding sensors, computers, ect. So if I need to test anything, now is the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possible MAF symptom. Go clean it for starters.

Possible MAF symptom. Go clean it for starters.

I'll try that out then. couldn't hurt. I'll go buy some MAF sensor cleaner after work.

replace the absolute sob big can fuel filter.

replace the absolute sob big can fuel filter.

I replaced that last November, when I replaced the fuel pump. I even got a Motorcraft one, so all should be good there.

is it better when cold (first thing in the morning)?
if it is, then probably not sensor related as most the computer is bypassed including MAF.

I feel like your tranny is downshifting. When you hit the gas hard the engine will downshift for more torque for things like passing. However, for some reasons these downshift slowly. Like it'll take a couple seconds where it seems like flooring it does absolutely nothing and then boom its at 3000+ rpms. Mine does that all the time. If I push the gas mediumly to it'll speed up a little bit more until it decides that I want to speed up a lot and then it'll downshift. If you floor it it'll downshift much faster. I know flooring it sounds like a bad idea, but the manual actually says to push the pedal all the way down so that the tranny will downshift for things like passing.
Sorry if that wasn't the best wording for everything. I'm really tired. But I know the manual has that in there. At least mine does.

The butterfly is connected to the gas pedal.
When you push the gas pedal down does it slowly start to accelerate and then accelerate more slowly? Or is it just not responding whats so ever for a minute?
I don't see how it wouldn't respond at all.

And I'm assuming you're lugging the engine, not downshifting?

I feel like your tranny is downshifting. When you hit the gas hard the engine will downshift for more torque for things like passing. However, for some reasons these downshift slowly. Like it'll take a couple seconds where it seems like flooring it does absolutely nothing and then boom its at 3000+ rpms. Mine does that all the time. If I push the gas mediumly to it'll speed up a little bit more until it decides that I want to speed up a lot and then it'll downshift. If you floor it it'll downshift much faster. I know flooring it sounds like a bad idea, but the manual actually says to push the pedal all the way down so that the tranny will downshift for things like passing.
Sorry if that wasn't the best wording for everything. I'm really tired. But I know the manual has that in there. At least mine does.

I am fairly certain that my transmission is not downshifting. I normally can tell when it shifts, and I don't feel it shifting. I am pretty sure that it's the engine, but next time I go to school, I will pa more attention, possibly even take a video, for everybody so they can see what I mean.

The butterfly is connected to the gas pedal.
When you push the gas pedal down does it slowly start to accelerate and then accelerate more slowly? Or is it just not responding whats so ever for a minute?
I don't see how it wouldn't respond at all.

And I'm assuming you're lugging the engine, not downshifting?

It seems to not change RPM for a few seconds, and then all of a sudden, it responds.

This one would be easy if the Gen 2 had a kick down cable.
I'd say you're on the right track by testing the TPS first.
Also clean the throttle body while there. Any trouble codes?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2349296

I will check the sensor for sure in class on Monday. I haven't cleaned my Throttle body for a few months now, so I am sure I am due. I have had no codes show up, since I replaced my o2 sensor in the spring, there are a few BCM codes, but nothing for engine management. good thread BTW, saved me from looking up specs in alldata, and shopkey.

That's when finally the transmission downshifts...

Well if it is, then I will try the technique that AlexSport'00 said about flooring it to engage the downshift faster.

You can also click the O/D off button assuming you're in overdrive. Make a vid

You can also click the O/D off button assuming you're in overdrive. Make a vid

The only time I have ever used the overdrive button is when I test drove the truck, to make sure it worked. It did, and I understand that I should only turn it off when I am towing, which I never do. Hopefully I will upload a video either Monday or Tuesday.

When I'm going to pass someone I always click off overdrive. Saves me a downshift when I let the pedal meet the carpet.
You should turn it off when towing as well, but I only do so when towing a heavy load. >=1,000lbs and I don't care. I could get 1,000lbs of people in the truck so why bother

I assume the OP's hitting WOT. Check the butterfly while cleaning the throttle body.
If you're not hitting the throttle stop or compressing the gas pedal spring, it actually
makes the zip tie mod effective without over stressing the cable and breaking it.

I would try running that hill with the gear shift selector in 2nd gear. Then, while driving up the hill, hit the throttle and see how it responds. If the lag is not there, then it is trans downshift lag you are dealing with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would try running that hill with the gear shift selector in 2nd gear. Then, while driving up the hill, hit the throttle and see how it responds. If the lag is not there, then it is trans downshift lag you are dealing with.

Good idea!

Back