• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Laptop formatting/installing XP Pro

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
I'm trying to reformat a Toshiba laptop and add WinXP Pro. I have an XP Pro boot CD, and when I run the setup on it, it loads all the drivers and whatnot fine, but then it stalls out on "Starting Windows" mode. Any idea? This laptop was all fawkered up. How can I format it, then install the XP.. and not have to use the boot disk to do the formatting?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
section525 said:
I'm trying to reformat a Toshiba laptop and add WinXP Pro. I have an XP Pro boot CD, and when I run the setup on it, it loads all the drivers and whatnot fine, but then it stalls out on "Starting Windows" mode. Any idea? This laptop was all fawkered up. How can I format it, then install the XP.. and not have to use the boot disk to do the formatting?

I just did a fresh install on a PC at work. Somewhere during the XP install, you're given the option to completely overwrite the existing partition and then install XP into the new partition. This completely wipes out all the existing data on the drive, so be careful.

If you go this route, make sure to hit "Windows Update" for all the patches. You then have to install all your applications again which takes time. I also did sort of a clean install on my machine at home, and a fresh install definitely cleans up a lot of inherited problems. What it won't do is fix any technical problems you have with the hard drive itself. My home machine runs way better since I did this.

Be careful and good luck. Don't forget to back up your data, including your email files (pst files) if you're using Outlook.

etc

Dead Inside
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
section525 said:
How can I format it, then install the XP.. and not have to use the boot disk to do the formatting?

New laptop?

Use a floppy boot disk, or if you don't have a floppy, a cd boot disk with dos and format files on it.

http://www.bootdisk.com/

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
celly said:
Be careful and good luck. Don't forget to back up your data, including your email files (pst files) if you're using Outlook.

It was locking up before it even gave me the option to partition and blah blah.

I just retored it back to the oldest date I could (only January), so hopefully that'll do something. Got my .pst file(s). Hope I remembered everything else! This is the bosses laptop! :eek:

etc.. the only floppy is the one infront of the computer. :p

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Blee! Howard! :p

I have gotten no where. It gets stuck at this screen.

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 129

etc

Dead Inside
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2WD
section525 said:
etc.. the only floppy is the one infront of the computer.
:p

Hehe, I figured as much :D . Try burning a bootable cd with the dos files to format that sucker.

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
etc said:
Hehe, I figured as much :D . Try burning a bootable cd with the dos files to format that sucker.

Yeah, right after I solve nuclear equations. :p Is there a website where I can do step-by-step directions?

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
Run a CD cleaner or clean the CD lens. Also make sure that the windows CD is not scratched. Check that the ram is seated properly. Not much else you can check on a laptop.

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
I searched for "freezes at setup is starting windows" and it looks like a lot of people have this problem. Right now, I am using my windows 98 boot disk to format the HD. Then hopefully I can make an early withdrawl and pop my XP in and go from there. If not, I'm overnighting it to Buckingham.

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
If all else fails, try copying the i386 folder from the CD to the C drive. I would recommend doing a fdisk to wipe the partition info.

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
How do I do an fdisk with XP? Can I do it through this Win98 boot CD? I really wish these things had floppy drives right about now.

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
section525 said:
How do I do an fdisk with XP? Can I do it through this Win98 boot CD? I really wish these things had floppy drives right about now.

I have a bootable CD and floppy with Fdisk and other utilities..

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
I think we're big pimpin now. I'll get back to you guys in... 11 minutes.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
WTF? No floppy?! Is the thing a Mac? Is the CD scratched? I had a similar problem, copied the CD, and didn't have it again. I guess you can burn the bootdisk files from that site to a CD, enter BIOS setup and change the boot order so the CD-rom is first in line.

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Doood.. laptops don't come with floppys anymore! At least in CA. :p

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Okay.. wtf. I installed Win98 flawlessly. But when I go to upgrade to XP Pro.. it locks up in that exact same place. I am trying to use two different CDs (one boot I made from my original) and both are stalling in the same spot.

Could it be a CD drive problem? I know the boss beats on it with his finger when he gets frustrated. But it did load 98 perfectly.

What are my options? Can I install Pro from a external HD I have (instead of using a CD)?

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
So this didn't have XP before? It had 98? Sometimes this can happen when the BIOS is not up-to-date. How old is the laptop?

I'd try swapping the HDD to another laptop and installing that way.

Does this happen at the very end of setup? Or is this the very beginning?

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
This laptop had XP Home orginally. I think its about a year old.

It happens at the beginning of setup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Are you actually getting into setup? I don't see why it would say starting windows if you pressed a key to boot from CD. Did you manage to reformat? I think you can use the recovery console and run fdisk.