• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

xder345

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 4WD
Can you post a pic??? I am about to buy new tires...

Thanks in advance...
I'll see if I can get something posted tonight. We've had a bunch of snow recently, so the Explorer is dirty as anything. What are you interested in, in particular?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

wcharon

Reaction score
City, State
Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Limited 2011
I'll see if I can get something posted tonight. We've had a bunch of snow recently, so the Explorer is dirty as anything. What are you interested in, in particular?
Basically i will like to see how is the look with the 20" OEM rims and the space between the fenders. So i think a front and side pic if possible.

xder345

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level

wcharon

Reaction score
City, State
Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Limited 2011
Excellent. Thanks... Looks great....

fangelillo01

Reaction score
City, State
Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Sport
Larger Tires on Sport

What is the largest tire I can comfortably run on a stock set of wheels? I'm thinking about looking for a larger performance tire now that summer is coming?. Pictures would be awesome..Thank you

CALDWELL

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
what is your idea of larger ? what is your desired vision of your X ?

ieee_raider

Reaction score
City, State
Paris, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
What is the largest tire I can comfortably run on a stock set of wheels? I'm thinking about looking for a larger performance tire now that summer is coming?. Pictures would be awesome..Thank you
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

Livernois

EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Guys,

If you have changed to a larger / smaller outer diameter tire as mentioned in some posts here, we have the ability with our tuning to correct the speedometer and shift points. Just an FYI for guys out there with our tunes.

Feel free to give us a shout if interested in adding some performance to your Explorer as well. We offer a great some great performance products / custom tuning for both the Sport, and the 3.5L TiVCT Explorer models.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/categories/Ford/2013%252b-Explorer-Sport-EcoBoost/

xder345

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Guys,

If you have changed to a larger / smaller outer diameter tire as mentioned in some posts here, we have the ability with our tuning to correct the speedometer and shift points. Just an FYI for guys out there with our tunes.

Feel free to give us a shout if interested in adding some performance to your Explorer as well. We offer a great some great performance products / custom tuning for both the Sport, and the 3.5L TiVCT Explorer models.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/categories/Ford/2013%252b-Explorer-Sport-EcoBoost/

This is excellent information!

The Cheat

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford F-150 FX4
I'm officially running 275/45R20's on my Sport wheels now. I decided to go with the new Nitto NT 421Q. They look great and so far have performed just as well as my super expensive Continentals that the truck came with. I hope I get more than 30,000 miles out of this set though since they have a 60,000 mile warranty (maybe I'll get 40k? lol)

Added bonus is the new tires have more wheel protection for the wife when she uses the wheel as a feeler...ugh.

Livernois

EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
This is excellent information!
Thank you for the kind words. :thumbsup:

Always glad to let people know how much potential these new vehicles have waiting to be unleashed. Let us know if anyone has questions on our performance products and packages as well.

BorgX

Reaction score
City, State
Ballwin, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a Sport as well. Wanting more rubber in the wells. :) Looking at 275/55R20. Any chance of fitting at all?? Section width of 10.8″ and overall diameter of 31.9″. Not worried about performance driving, it's an SUV. Got the Sport for the power (and the black wheels), nothing more. Thanks for any insight!

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
I have a Sport as well. Wanting more rubber in the wells. :) Looking at 275/55R20. Any chance of fitting at all?? Section width of 10.8″ and overall diameter of 31.9″. Not worried about performance driving, it's an SUV. Got the Sport for the power (and the black wheels), nothing more. Thanks for any insight!
Assuming the OEM size is 255/50R20, then the size you are looking at exceeds the accepted maximum diameter variance by almost 2 times. The generally accepted maximum is 3%. In this case it is 6.23%.

Peter

BorgX

Reaction score
City, State
Ballwin, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Assuming the OEM size is 255/50R20, then the size you are looking at exceeds the accepted maximum diameter variance by almost 2 times. The generally accepted maximum is 3%. In this case it is 6.23%.

Peter
Stock is the optional Sport tires... 265/45R20. Nothing in that size that I want to put on the truck. The stock Continentals suck... and I mean horrible. Shocked it was an expensive upgrade like it was...

I know it exceeds the max for sure... I will have to get the speedo corrected for sure. Just wanting to know if anyone has tried that size (I believe they will rub). I will most likely have to go down in size, but I am not going stock size again because all the tires in that size suck (to me).

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Stock is the optional Sport tires... 265/45R20. Nothing in that size that I want to put on the truck. The stock Continentals suck... and I mean horrible. Shocked it was an expensive upgrade like it was...

I know it exceeds the max for sure... I will have to get the speedo corrected for sure. Just wanting to know if anyone has tried that size (I believe they will rub). I will most likely have to go down in size, but I am not going stock size again because all the tires in that size suck (to me).
That OEM size increases the exceeded maximum to 8.57%.
The concern is the extra strain it will put on the braking system and the effect it will have on other systems as well. With all these electronic system on board, there is a lot of integration of the various systems that also has to be taken into account.

Peter

BorgX

Reaction score
City, State
Ballwin, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
That OEM size increases the exceeded maximum to 8.57%.
The concern is the extra strain it will put on the braking system and the effect it will have on other systems as well. With all these electronic system on board, there is a lot of integration of the various systems that also has to be taken into account.

Peter
So... what you're saying is don't even think about it... :salute: Gotcha.

ieee_raider

Reaction score
City, State
Paris, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport

eimbert

Reaction score
City, State
indianapolis in
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer limited
3%

3% please. the truck weighs #6000 . a slightly larger tire above 3% will not ruin the brakes if they don't rub you'll be fine.
I have a 2014 limited it has 255/50/r20 tires optional tires for model are 265/45/20. if this size fits on a limited they will fit on the base model, they are the same truck. i replaced my 20's with 18', don't like big rims. next tire will be 265/60/18' on xlt rims. looking at pirelli scorpions for better winter traction without going to winter tires, there not needed here in indianapolis.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Carnivore

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 sport
My tires are about due for replacement as I've got 46,000 miles on them. I have pretty much decided to go with the 275 4520 size but haven't yet decided what tire to get. I like the fact that the factory Hancook tires are quiet and wear evenly. That's really the only thing I like about them. So whatever new tire I get I want to make sure they are quiet and they wear evenly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Need Help - Explorer Not Shifting Up When Floored - Bigger Tires 295 45 20 and SCT Tune Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5
F HI! I need help with Wheels and Tires!* 2017 Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
B Upsizing tires w/o changing OEM 18" rims - what size and is it safe? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
S LEXANI LX-TWENTY Tires Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 5
G Post Pics Of Your Tires (want to see what 275/45/20 on a Sport looks like) Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 11
W Does anyone have Any Pics of A/T tires on 20 or 22 wheels? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 17
S New Rims and Tires on the Sport, now With Pics Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 10
S Fair price for base rims and tires? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
W Summer Tires - thoughts? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 15
W Winter or Summer Wheels/Tires Storage!! Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
R how much height will the following tires add to the 2011+ explorer Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
2 pics of 17 inch Wheels and tires Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
G TPMS and removing and remounting tires Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 13
G Tires Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
1 Smaller rims and bigger tires Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
J Offroad Tires? Max tire Size? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 27
M OEM Horn Swap Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
B Source for pins for various OEM connectors Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
B Used OEM backup camera installed, shows very grainy/squiggly, video link provided. Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
BAD430BENZ Anyone want to sell their OEM springs ? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
T Oem reverse sensing system Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
E Factory OEM oil cooler Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 0
X 17" OEM Wheels Questions Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 12
B 275/45R20 Nitto NT421Qs on Sport OEM 20x9s Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 12
T Removing OEM Hid Headlight Bulbs Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 7
Y Installing OEM Subwoofer 2011 XLT Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 2
P Adding OEM Class 3 Trailer Hitch? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
BAD430BENZ interceptor grille....new oem grille ? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 57
BAD430BENZ OEM hood for custom project ! Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 9
V OEM parts that are interchangeable from one trim to another? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6
L QUESTION - Would a 17" OEM Steel Wheel fit on the Sport model? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 28
J Replacing OEM headlights with HID lights? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 52
D Best place for 20 inch OEM wheel Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 3
I Changing OEM Halogen bulbs with something else! Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 1
R OEM 20 inch 5 spoke centercaps Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 4
J Trailer Hitch Conversion to OEM? Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods 6