Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

Can you post a pic??? I am about to buy new tires...

Thanks in advance...

I'll see if I can get something posted tonight. We've had a bunch of snow recently, so the Explorer is dirty as anything. What are you interested in, in particular?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll see if I can get something posted tonight. We've had a bunch of snow recently, so the Explorer is dirty as anything. What are you interested in, in particular?

Basically i will like to see how is the look with the 20" OEM rims and the space between the fenders. So i think a front and side pic if possible.

Excellent. Thanks... Looks great....

Larger Tires on Sport

What is the largest tire I can comfortably run on a stock set of wheels? I'm thinking about looking for a larger performance tire now that summer is coming?. Pictures would be awesome..Thank you

what is your idea of larger ? what is your desired vision of your X ?

What is the largest tire I can comfortably run on a stock set of wheels? I'm thinking about looking for a larger performance tire now that summer is coming?. Pictures would be awesome..Thank you
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

Guys,

If you have changed to a larger / smaller outer diameter tire as mentioned in some posts here, we have the ability with our tuning to correct the speedometer and shift points. Just an FYI for guys out there with our tunes.

Feel free to give us a shout if interested in adding some performance to your Explorer as well. We offer a great some great performance products / custom tuning for both the Sport, and the 3.5L TiVCT Explorer models.

Explorer_CAI_TUNE__81396_std_copy__31677_zoom.jpg

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/categories/Ford/2013%252b-Explorer-Sport-EcoBoost/

Guys,

If you have changed to a larger / smaller outer diameter tire as mentioned in some posts here, we have the ability with our tuning to correct the speedometer and shift points. Just an FYI for guys out there with our tunes.

Feel free to give us a shout if interested in adding some performance to your Explorer as well. We offer a great some great performance products / custom tuning for both the Sport, and the 3.5L TiVCT Explorer models.

Explorer_CAI_TUNE__81396_std_copy__31677_zoom.jpg

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/categories/Ford/2013%252b-Explorer-Sport-EcoBoost/

This is excellent information!

I'm officially running 275/45R20's on my Sport wheels now. I decided to go with the new Nitto NT 421Q. They look great and so far have performed just as well as my super expensive Continentals that the truck came with. I hope I get more than 30,000 miles out of this set though since they have a 60,000 mile warranty (maybe I'll get 40k? lol)

Added bonus is the new tires have more wheel protection for the wife when she uses the wheel as a feeler...ugh.

This is excellent information!

Thank you for the kind words. :thumbsup:

Always glad to let people know how much potential these new vehicles have waiting to be unleashed. Let us know if anyone has questions on our performance products and packages as well.

I have a Sport as well. Wanting more rubber in the wells. :) Looking at 275/55R20. Any chance of fitting at all?? Section width of 10.8″ and overall diameter of 31.9″. Not worried about performance driving, it's an SUV. Got the Sport for the power (and the black wheels), nothing more. Thanks for any insight!

I have a Sport as well. Wanting more rubber in the wells. :) Looking at 275/55R20. Any chance of fitting at all?? Section width of 10.8″ and overall diameter of 31.9″. Not worried about performance driving, it's an SUV. Got the Sport for the power (and the black wheels), nothing more. Thanks for any insight!
Assuming the OEM size is 255/50R20, then the size you are looking at exceeds the accepted maximum diameter variance by almost 2 times. The generally accepted maximum is 3%. In this case it is 6.23%.

Peter

Assuming the OEM size is 255/50R20, then the size you are looking at exceeds the accepted maximum diameter variance by almost 2 times. The generally accepted maximum is 3%. In this case it is 6.23%.

Peter
Stock is the optional Sport tires... 265/45R20. Nothing in that size that I want to put on the truck. The stock Continentals suck... and I mean horrible. Shocked it was an expensive upgrade like it was...

I know it exceeds the max for sure... I will have to get the speedo corrected for sure. Just wanting to know if anyone has tried that size (I believe they will rub). I will most likely have to go down in size, but I am not going stock size again because all the tires in that size suck (to me).

Stock is the optional Sport tires... 265/45R20. Nothing in that size that I want to put on the truck. The stock Continentals suck... and I mean horrible. Shocked it was an expensive upgrade like it was...

I know it exceeds the max for sure... I will have to get the speedo corrected for sure. Just wanting to know if anyone has tried that size (I believe they will rub). I will most likely have to go down in size, but I am not going stock size again because all the tires in that size suck (to me).
That OEM size increases the exceeded maximum to 8.57%.
The concern is the extra strain it will put on the braking system and the effect it will have on other systems as well. With all these electronic system on board, there is a lot of integration of the various systems that also has to be taken into account.

Peter

That OEM size increases the exceeded maximum to 8.57%.
The concern is the extra strain it will put on the braking system and the effect it will have on other systems as well. With all these electronic system on board, there is a lot of integration of the various systems that also has to be taken into account.

Peter
So... what you're saying is don't even think about it... :salute: Gotcha.

3%

3% please. the truck weighs #6000 . a slightly larger tire above 3% will not ruin the brakes if they don't rub you'll be fine.
I have a 2014 limited it has 255/50/r20 tires optional tires for model are 265/45/20. if this size fits on a limited they will fit on the base model, they are the same truck. i replaced my 20's with 18', don't like big rims. next tire will be 265/60/18' on xlt rims. looking at pirelli scorpions for better winter traction without going to winter tires, there not needed here in indianapolis.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My tires are about due for replacement as I've got 46,000 miles on them. I have pretty much decided to go with the 275 4520 size but haven't yet decided what tire to get. I like the fact that the factory Hancook tires are quiet and wear evenly. That's really the only thing I like about them. So whatever new tire I get I want to make sure they are quiet and they wear evenly.

Back