largest spare tire fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

largest spare tire fit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey 4x5,

When I put my 31x10.5 A/T's on I kept one of the 30x9.5 A/T's as a spare and it fits like a glove underneath.

Well 2 weeks ago I punctured a sidewall on my 31x10.5 and had to ride the spare. I was skeptical that the 31x10.5 would fit underneath so I just threw it in the back. Well after getting home from the trail curiosity got the best of me, so I attempted to put the 31x10.5 underneath. What do you know, IT FITS!! You just need to guide it past your rear swaybar, then it snugs up in there quite nicely!

In short, 31x10.5 is the largest I have fit, and probably largest you can fit.

------------------
Cheers,

Andrew B.
1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 (slightly modified)
BC, Canada

I have a 31"x10.5" under the back. It fits pretty snug but seems to be sturdy.

------------------
-Lobo
An Explorer Blessing:
May you not see your A4LD in your rear-view mirror and
your radius arm bushings stay silent on the trail.

Either of you two have a receiver type hitch on your explorers? I do and am wondering if a 31x10.5 spare will still fit.

I do not have a reciever hitch.

------------------
-Lobo
An Explorer Blessing:
May you not see your A4LD in your rear-view mirror and
your radius arm bushings stay silent on the trail.

I have a Hidden Hitch. It doesn't look like it could interfere with the tire space, since it's avtually under the bumper.
J.C. whitney has a bumper mounted tire carrierthat swings down(not sideways) for 20 some dollars. It's not elegant but it should work, and could even be mounted to the front bumper for that safari look.

J.B.

Back