largest tire with 15" rim | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

largest tire with 15" rim

i have the factory 15" rims, and am wondering how big of a tire i can fit on it if i go have a 1 1/2" torsion twist lift. any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question of the Ages!

The Eternal Question? This has got to have the most threads. Try a search. With so many different set ups lets see...
If your 97 is like my 95 then you can you can run 31's. I've ran Armstrongs, Firestones, Mechillins, presently GoodYears (Tried to get BFG's don't ask).
I've still got my stock rims and have no problems, never have. This is all at stock height.
I'm trying to lift mine. Used the add-a-leafs but just brought myself back to stock height. Ordered OME full leaf pack. That will lift me with the TT.
If I could find 33 x 10.5 or 33 x 9.5 over here I would try. Myself I believe they will fit. I know some people are using 32's with some triming But they have fender flares or some kind of effects. I've found that someplaces will let you try some on if they can get the size. You may find that some tire shops will not install 31's stating they will not fit and try to sell you another smaller set. Don't listen to them. Go to another shop. They do fit!!!
Myself I feel the 33's will fit others may not. I don't have any effects, no fender flares, no problems.
There is a thread about wheel spacers to use or not. I was thinking of using a spacer so with the bigger tires I would reduce the chance of rubbing on the inside. I beleive that this is new ground and it may or may not work. Someone has to try. If I can find the tire's here it will be me.
Try searching!!! Good luck Keep me posted!

with the 31", do they rub at all under full flex? just wondering, cause when i go wheeling, there are plenty of little ditches and dried up streams that i cross that give me near full flex and sometimes some three wheel action. thanks for all the help so far alto

i have a 94 with no lift and 31s and smaller fenderwells than you and they stuff fine. just need to trim a little plastic

i have 31x10.50-15 firestone wilderness at3's on my 95 xl
mounted on stock 15x7 wheels i have the torsion twist and extended shackles giving me a total of 1-1/2 inches of lift
i have had some rubbing on the inside of the rear wells when my tire was lifted off the ground
the wheel spacers would work to keep that from happening but then you run the risk of rubbing the flares
if your talking about ruts like i think of i think it would be better to go with wheels with more backspacing than to use spacers
i plan on wheels with 1/2" more backspacing than what i have now and i'm sure 32's would fit but i wouldnt be so sure about 33's

IMHO i think a 33 will not fit with only 1.5" of lift! i am a retired tire guy so my opinion isprobably worth considering

i had 32 1150 with just hte torsion twist

awesome. thanks for all the input.

Originally posted by jeffseal
i had 32 1150 with just hte torsion twist

So, you are running 32x11.5-15's with just the torsion twist, and I assume something in the rear (addleaf, new springs, shackles, etc)?

Any rubbing? I'm thinking of the Goodyear M/T-R, and would like to go 32x11.5, but would fall back to the 31x10.5 if I had to.

I have 16" rims, so I'm running the metric version of 32" tires on my 95 EB with TT and add-a-leaf. I DO have rubbing at the top of the wheel well. I think I'm going to crank a little more on the torsion bars to reduce it. It only rubs when I drill holes in the trail at a fast speed. I have never had it rub while I was doing slow (idle) trail riding in and out of riverbeds and such.

Hope that helps.

Back