Largest, widest tire on a 15x7 rim... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Largest, widest tire on a 15x7 rim...

How big can you go? I want 33's but most of the ones I look at are 33x10.5 or 33x12.5. Anyone stuck these types of tires on a 91-94 stock rim? Irregardless of lift, what the biggest tire you can fit on a stock rim and not have to worry about the popping the sidewall off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the basis for the tire industry is you can go up to 3 or 4 inches above rim width with tire width but i've seen people run 12.5 on 7 inch rims before.

and...

I should also specify off-road use not performance.

As the sidewall gets taller, you can fit wider tires. I think a good rule of thumb is 31x10.5, 33x11.5, 35x12.5. I think some people may be running 32x11.5, but may be wrong. I wouldn't try wider than 10.5 on a 31, or wider than 11.5 on a 33. And after 35x12.5; you need new rims.

So 33x12.5's might pop off the rim under hard turning or it they got deflated? I've not seen any advertisements for a 33x11.5 tire but I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open....

Thanks for the responses guys..:)

Just my opinion, maybe someone else can give you confidence in 33x12.5 on 15x7. Just my personal preferences and what I've seen.

Hi Alec, I'm looking at getting new tires. I currently have 32x11.5 BFG AT's. I like the tires alot they did good off road and were quiet on road. I'm looking at 33x12.5 for my next tire. What would be the benefit of having a skinnier tire or a fatter tire. Any info or input you have would be appreciated, or anyone else for that matter.

Fitment, traction, weight, wind and rolling resistance. These are all factors in tire width. Most of the time I'd say get the widest you can fit ;) However, if you mostly stay onroad and would sacrifice a little (rain and) offroad traction, a skinnier tire might give you better mileage, suspension and braking performance, and less noise.

another 2 cents.

Originally posted by Alec
maybe someone else can give you confidence in 33x12.5 on 15x7.

I ran that combo for several years. It's not optimal, but it's not a problem, either. Just find the proper pressure (hint: it'll be lower than normal).

Who the hell is Paul?

your main problem with 12.5 on a 15 x 7 would be rubbing the frame at full wheel turn. i rub with 11.50 on the frame if i am turning all the way as hard as it will go. (just a wee bit though) as far as breaking bead and all that my tire guy says that 15 x 7 will be no problem at all with 12.5 wide tire. i air down to 10psi with 11.5 and have never had a problem. my current plans are to get a set of 33 x 12.5 on 15 x 8 with less backspacing so that i wont rub the frame at all.

How can we tell if we have backspacing. This is a new one to me and I don't fully understand it. If you add backspacing then if I understand correctly, you are just moving the tire away from the frame so the tire won't rub on the frame. But what about the fenders?

less backspacing means less space between the back of the wheel (where it bolts to the hub) and the rim of the wheel (where the bead of the tire meets the wheel.) the less backspacing you have means the more you are pushing the wheel and tire from the frame. im not sure what stock backspacing is - 4" may be some one else knows, im sure.

33/10.50/15s on stock 15x7s

I am running the 33/10.50/15 BFG ATs on my stock 15x7s. If you run a lower pressure, like 26 or so, they seem to wear OK. The 12.50s look better but I think the 10.50s don't look too bad.
Front2.jpg

I have a set of 8.5" rims that I am redoing. There were 31/10.50s on there and they looked alot flatter across the top.
Like I said...as long as you run a lower pressure the 33/10.50s will be ok. I chose this set-up because ther is NO trimming required and the wheels are unside the fenderwells. Big tires sticking out look good, but are not too good for the paint job and give the cops something to ***** about.

Mascman
when we meeting up for some wheeling? you can ride the buggy... ill drive... i just wanna check out your x on 33's

Back