Last chance to save my explorer or the girlfriend is taking it to the dump. Clutch problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Last chance to save my explorer or the girlfriend is taking it to the dump. Clutch problem.

TreDen

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
Good evening guys,

Long story short, the explorer has started to break down more and more in the last year. Every time it is something simple, or less then a hundred bucks, and I change it myself and get it back on the road.

I've added some photos, but pretty much it is just a traveling camping/fishing truck and we have driven it all over the country multiple times. The girlfriend and I are living in the Florida Keys for the winter and I lost the clutch. She thinks I'm too emotionally attached to the truck and is trying to convince me that it's time to let it go. She won't let me take it to the shop for a grand to fix it up over concerns it will crap out in the near future.

That being said, I have convinced her that I can fix it myself for under 400 bucks. It's a win win for me. I love working on this truck and learning new things. When I bought the truck years ago I didn't know how to change the oil and now I am changing the radiator and alternator on the side of the road in the middle of the countryside to get her up and running if need be. I want to attempt the clutch.

I just want to make sure it is worth fixing, or if it could be a way bigger problem then I think.

This is what happened.

A month ago I was having trouble shifting into gear. I would push the clutch in with no resistance and it was very hard to shift into gear.

Where my truck was parked there was fresh fluid that had leaked out, I checked the reservoir and it was empty. I added brake fluid. The clutch came back and I drove it for a few days. Then I lost the clutch again. This time there was still fluid in the reservoir but I wanted to bleed the system.

I went and bought a syringe. I filled it with brake fluid, attached it to the clutch line that runs to the master cylinder and I forced fluid into the system while pumping the clutch pedal and bleeding it down below. I have never had so much pressure in my life. The truck drove for a week.

I thought it was fixed...but, it got a lot worse. I would start it up, throw it in gear, drive a little bit, and then it would be impossible to shift. I would go to add fluid but it was full.

Now, when the truck is off, I can shift into gear. When I start the truck in gear, the truck jumps forward and dies. I have no clutch at all, no pressure. If the truck is running I can not get it into gear. I let it sit for two weeks, started it up tonight and I put it in reverse, it went into gear, but the second I started to roll I lost the clutch and the engine was stuck in reverse. I shut it off and I could shift through all the gears again. I turned it on and it would not shift into gear. I then started it in first gear and it would just die, and try to roll and shutter to a stop. I have no clutch.

I've found a few videos and a great write up on this forum. The girlfriend is giving me a week to fix it or she is going to fly home to get her car and I will be stuck with paying someone to remove the truck from our one and only parking spot.

It's a small space, drive way but I now I can do this. I am planning on getting some of those red truck ramps, to raise the truck up a little. 92 4-door 5 speed.

Before I rip the thing apart give me a heads up on how bad is it going to look inside there? Am I going to need to replace everything? How much for all these parts you think? I'm thinking full clutch assembly kit, slave cylinder, and fly wheel? Some pressure plate?

Could it be something as simple as my master cylinder?

I'll answer any questions, I'll post updates. Thank you guys

http://imgur.com/a/PcVvd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The worst part of the job is the transmission coming out and going back in. I see clutch kits on ebay for $116. That includes the pressure plate, slave cylinder and the disc. If the flywheel surface is in good condition, use fine grade sandpaper on it, I wouldn't replace or pull it unless it is damaged. Replace the pilot bearing. What I have found that makes it easier to put the transmission in is get 2 longer bolts for the upper spots in the bellhousing. It can be a pain to get the input shaft to side through the pilot bearing. With the longer bolts, you don't have to hold the transmission while rocking it.

TreDen,

If I remember reading other post correctly you may need to drop the exhaust to get it out of the way so the transmission can slide back.

It has to come all of the way out.

You should not need a flywheel, unless when you open it up you find the flywheel very discolored from the clutch plate slipping. It's usually not a bad idea to pull it off anyway and have it resurfaced by a machine shop.

Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate, Throw out Bearing\Slave Cylinder should be what you need.

Don't forget to change the pilot bearing while you are in there. Most of the time it is either a small bushing or a needle bearing set that is inserted into the back of the crankshaft. This is where the very nose of the transmission input shaft slides into.

It is a very large job to under take but for me it's actually the satisfaction of not letting "The machine" beat me.

As for your GF, I get the same thing from my wife. Lot's of half finished projects around here and I always hear the same thing too.

Now for the really key question? Which V-6 do you have and how many miles? I have read that the only way to get at the back timing chain is to pull the transmission. Since the transmission is out it may be a good time to "Punch Out" that possibly failing timing chain.

I would hate to see you tackle the clutch and then have to rear chain go. Then the cycle of "heated debates" between you and your GF would start all over again.

Do a little reading on "Timing Chain Death Rattle" on this site or ask members like Koda, Street Rod, CDW or IMP for input. Not to mention many others.

Thanks guys. Please keep checking this post as I may have some questions come up. You guys seem to think that it is the clutch and not something simple like the master cylinder because of the earlier leaking fluid.

Is this the ebay kit I need. All I can find on ebay is kits for 93-00 explorer. Not a 92 kit. I found this for sale but it says it's not compatible for my truck. Thanks guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCH-KIT-...ash=item25721d8564:g:7JsAAOSwKtlWoP~Q&vxp=mtr

It's not the transmission, it's the clutch. And most probably, it's just the slave cylinder. I suggest you start searching and reading up on the slave, and on dropping trans, there's tons of info on it on this site. Everybody's slave fails, it's THE weak link in the manual trans. It's quite possible the guy did put a new one in when he did your trans, but he probably used a cheap one from a parts store, those will fail in a year. Reading up on that here will tell you the only one to buy is one from a Ford dealer.
I was in the same place as you when mine failed, and I did the job in my driveway with basic tools and limited skills, the info here saved me. Only tool I suggest is a transmission jack, if you don't have a second person to help raise and lower the trans.

Also, shucker, it's a first gen, he has the OHV so no worries about timing chain. ;)

Thanks for the info about the timing chain, the girlfriend got a laugh when I told her what the previous poster has said and then your post.

I have researched a lot, and am excited to go. Do you think that I should drop the trans out, look at the slave and clutch before I go and buy a kit? There is a chance it is just the slave? I'll be honest, I did play around with the thing for a while slamming it into gear and outta gear a few times feeling it slip out, never had clutch problems before so was being pretty stupid about it.

Also, shucker, it's a first gen, he has the OHV so no worries about timing chain.

Cool, Thanks X. I'm a 5.0 guy so that's why I asked for other opinions.

TreDen,

I'll be honest, I did play around with the thing for a while slamming it into gear and outta gear a few times feeling it slip out, never had clutch problems before so was being pretty stupid about it.

Try not to do that. It's really hard on the synchronizer rings in the transmission when you do that.

I know it's not the same set up but on my MG if you do that you could crack a synchronizer ring and then your in big crap...

I have not read every thread about your truck so I do not know the full history. If the clutch has not been replaced since you bought the vehicle then I would invest in a clutch kit. You are already in there and it is the same amount of work to put a new part back on.

make sure you read up on bleeding clutch it can be a pita. i would put a clutch kit slave cyl with bearing pilot bearing and master cyl.

My opinion is to replace everything at once. If you change just the slave cylinder, you still have an old master with crappy fluid and a rusty steel line. Replace the master cylinder (comes as one with new line and reservoir), slave cylinder, and clutch kit. The flywheel is up to you. You can have it machined flat, or buy a new one. I think there is only one flywheel for these, however, some 4.0 engines had the starter on the other side. I don't know if their flywheel is different. Do not just use the old flywheel without machining it.

If this is the first time the transmission is coming out, you will probably need to remove the exhaust. When its out, flatten/cut the body seam above the bell housing to make it easier next time. Now that my seam is flat, I can pull mine out with the exhaust in place. If you use a jack is up to you, the M5OD is all aluminum, and rather light. I just grab mine and pull it out. I bench press it to put it back in, easy as pie, but I'm 6'5" and over 300 pounds.

Everyone's advice is really good, I'll just mention again, search and read up on this. You can't read too much!

When I replaced my 5-speed I had to remove the clutch master cylinder and bleed it and the line by tying it to a post and stretching the line down as far as it would stretch. After tapping on the line, pumping the cylinder, tapping, pumping, etc, etc, etc, I worked all the air up past the master cylinder and into the reservoir. Re-installing it and bleeding the slave has given me full throw on the clutch. There were too many high and low points in the line to bleed it in place and I had tried for two days. There are videos that show this 'bench' bleeding and it is worth doing.

@shucker1 Longest piece I seen you write! All good, solid info. Nice to hear from you!
@TreDen Before you start take a close look underneath at that transmission. I did one like it in my F-150, and even though I bench pressed 240+ easily as a young man, shoving those cast iron autos in and out by hand, no way would I have tackled the M5OD without a jack. Just sayin'. imp

you are the man of the house put your foot down and tell her what is what.... i dare you lol
That advice is like rubbing the dog against the grain or sticking your hand in an alligators mouth. I can say as a married man that has served 15 to life so far, you may win a few battles but you will end up losing the war that way.

i know that's what is so funny he has to learn sooner rather than later. he may be the boss but they have things we cannot combat like tears ect.

That advice is like rubbing the dog against the grain or sticking your hand in an alligators mouth. I can say as a married man that has served 15 to life so far, you may win a few battles but you will end up losing the war that way.
@Josh P @shucker1

Your two likes come from men of decidedly dedicated experience in such matters, each from opposing ends of the spectrum.......imp

@Josh P @shucker1

Your two likes come from men of decidedly dedicated experience in such matters, each from opposing ends of the spectrum.......imp
Experience is something you generally gain just after you need it. I can tell you from experience, choose your battles wisely. Intelligence is learning from others mistakes and ignorance is having to learn from your own mistakes. Imp, it would be interesting to hear about the opposing ends of the spectrum, share stories.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back