Last original bearing replaced.

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
So at 138 k miles, the right rear bearing started making noise, and when I lifted the car, the wheel woobled like crazy. Si I tightened the 35 mm axle nut and that got me additional 500 miles while I shopped for the bearing. The dealer wanted 120 bucks, I said thanks. I looked on line and found them for 90 incl S&H so I ordered it, and also the snap ring (you can use the old one).
AutoZone had Timken for about $ 60 but when I went to get it, it read "Korea" on it so I said no. I ordered one from Ford Dealership on line, it came in as Motorcraft part, and on the bearing it read "Korea" !!!!

I took out the knuckle, gave it to the local shop, they did the press for me for $ 50. I did already few hundred miles, all is good so far.

The worst part of this job everytime is the e-brake re-assembly, what a pain, unless I do not know something, or not using proper tools.
It took me 45 min to take the knuckle out, about an hour to put it back together. But I had it apart about a year ago when I replaced the ABS ring on that side.

You must be a super expert on bearing replacement now.

I usually remove and install those type of bearings with a hammer and drift, much like replacing universal joints. Would you see a problem in this application? The workshop manual shows a mechanical puller, but I prefer a hammer over a puller or press.

I checked on parts availability and found a bearing for $115 and a repair kit (hub and installed bearing) for $220 (Canadian prices). They have better durability than Motorcraft in other applications. With 4 to do at some time I had better learn to remove and install the bearing from the hub myself.

I have the workshop manual procedures, but enthusiasts provide lots more insight. I have not found a "how to" for bearing replacement on this site yet.

I replaced the front few times (twice too many since I used some chinese crap), and they come as hub assemblies, very easy to do, but more costly, about 250-300 for an original Motorcraft part, 115 for aftermarket that did not last few miles in my case.

The rears are cheaper but lot more work, you need a press. I can't imagine hammeriing them out, maybe ????, but to put the new one in, you would probably damage them. Someone did it by heating up the knuckle on the BBQ, and freezing up the bearing in the freezer overnight, and it supposedly went in, not sure about that. For 50 bucks, it was done right.

Thanks for the advice.

Back