Last year for 5 speed tranny?

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
What year did Ford stop making ex's with 5 speed trannys? I have been searching craigslist for a 5 speed explorer and have only come upon one 93 so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorers had a 5 speed manual option every year until 2002. So all years of the 1st Gen. had a manual option.
-Will

Ok, so how new can I go on swapping in a 5 speed into my '94? I heard 1997-98 are the last years that I could use to swap into my 1st gen....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_M5OD_transmission

I would say any Explorer M50D-R1 offered in the years from 91-01 would work, and any in the vehicles listed in that link.

Try using car-part.com and do a search within your area. This site pulls up Salvage yards across the country. You can also get the manual ECM from that site for your same year Explorer.

I believe that if you have the SOHV 4.0 engine then you will need to find a M5OD-HD from a Ranger.

I believe the sohc trans will have one bolt hole that will not line up otherwise it works. My trans has had only 5 of the 6 bolts holding together for years and its fine.

Ok, so I guess its less than 1997 trans that I can use.

Would the computer have to be from a first gen also?

Ok thanks! I'm now starting to gather parts as I can afford them, and I want the small stuff first.

I will, I just hate going out there lol.

What year did Ford stop making ex's with 5 speed trannys? I have been searching craigslist for a 5 speed explorer and have only come upon one 93 so far.

Don't limit yourself to explorers. Find a 4.0 ranger that had the 5 speed. I don't think the 4cylinder version is big/wide enough (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I plan to go next weekend after I get paid, see if I can find some parts I wanna get. This is exciting, but my husband isn't thrilled about it. I don't understand why he doesn't have a fondness for wanting to work hard on his own rig. He has an even older F150 that's a 1991...I LOVE working on my own rig, I find it fun.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I plan to go next weekend after I get paid, see if I can find some parts I wanna get. This is exciting, but my husband isn't thrilled about it. I don't understand why he doesn't have a fondness for wanting to work hard on his own rig. He has an even older F150 that's a 1991...I LOVE working on my own rig, I find it fun.

It is a blast!! My wife doesn't get it either...LOL

Yeah, I don't understand it LOL. He's a MAN and doesn't like to work on his truck much.

Shoot for a newer one, as there were improvements to the internals. My '94 Ranger currently has an M5OD trans from a 98+ Explorer Sport. Shifts much better than even the stock trans did.

Im gonna try. The 1st gens are pretty popular, I see lots of them still on the road. I've yet to see ONE ad for a 95+ explorer with a 5 speed tranny....

Im gonna try. The 1st gens are pretty popular, I see lots of them still on the road. I've yet to see ONE ad for a 95+ explorer with a 5 speed tranny....

I guess I'm just a magnet for them.... I found a 98 X 5 speed w/ 22" rims the other day.... of course it was $1500 overpriced because of the stupid looking rims. (I say $1500 cause in the ad the owner made mention of saying rims and tires were $1500).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dang! Stupid ppl sometimes! What a way to ruin a good rig LOL!

Back