Late 80s B2000 Advice | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Late 80s B2000 Advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not to familiar with those, but i imagine thats another good choice. i only seen one with a BW KO3 on it iirc. seemed like it made good power. id definitely turbo these since NA they might be a bit anemic (albeit probably the same maybe better still that the 2.0 gasser)

It's a bit stronger v2203 yall are suggesting lol
Yeah, they get less hp than the 2.0l, so it certainly would need a turbo or two

Not sure on this

It's a bit stronger v2203 yall are suggesting lol
Yeah, they get less hp than the 2.0l, so it certainly would need a turbo or two
The V2203 is extremely reliable and easy to work on. With a turbo you can get 140 hp and around 350 lb/ft of torque. You'll see mid 40s mpg if your final drive ratio is in the 2.xx range.

The V2203 is extremely reliable and easy to work on. With a turbo you can get 140 hp and around 350 lb/ft of torque. You'll see mid 40s mpg if your final drive ratio is in the 2.xx range.
And THAT right there is what I wanted and needed to hear, just need some help finding a cheap v2203 to build I guess lol

The Cat C2.2 is the same engine. Gensets and power units are the cheapest for getting good low hour running industrial engines. Usually you can sell the unused items you strip off the rear of the engine to recover some of the money.

The Cat C2.2 is the same engine. Gensets and power units are the cheapest for getting good low hour running industrial engines. Usually you can sell the unused items you strip off the rear of the engine to recover some of the money.
10-4!

Found this while windows shopping at American Truck Salvage. I got the engine for $750

20240604_145315.jpg

20240604_145301.jpg

20240604_145252.jpg

20240604_145214.jpg

I'll have to go look!
This one will be loaded into my truck next Monday for me to bring home. I wasn't looking for it specifically, I was there to get another disc brake steer axle and a set of leaf springs. I threw an offer out there expecting to be laughed at but he took it. It's a Yanmar

This one will be loaded into my truck next Monday for me to bring home. I wasn't looking for it specifically, I was there to get another disc brake steer axle and a set of leaf springs. I threw an offer out there expecting to be laughed at but he took it. It's a Yanmar
Well nice man! Wish ya luck with it!

I just saw this thread. I had a B2000 and B2200I before I bought my '93 Explorer. I loved those trucks. They were very reliable and handled well. I definitely don't see many on the road these days.

I just saw this thread. I had a B2000 and B2200I before I bought my '93 Explorer. I loved those trucks. They were very reliable and handled well. I definitely don't see many on the road these days.
Well hopefully I'll be bringing this one home soon! May have to ask ya info on 'em later!

I'd like to find a Ford Courier in decent shape.

I saw a Mazda b2000 on the road the other day I recognized it because of this thread it was blue patina and for sure had some work done looked lowered and was cruising at highway speeds

There are several decent looking couriers in this town, sitting in back yards. Last time we found one for cheap it almost fell in half when we put the winch on it…. Too much rust. The truck was free… and now we know why

$750 yanmar with all the trimmings!! Yes please

I saw a Mazda b2000 on the road the other day I recognized it because of this thread it was blue patina and for sure had some work done looked lowered and was cruising at highway speeds

There are several decent looking couriers in this town, sitting in back yards. Last time we found one for cheap it almost fell in half when we put the winch on it…. Too much rust. The truck was free… and now we know why

$750 yanmar with all the trimmings!! Yes please
It's always nice to see some old rigs being kept up on the road!

Dang, sounds like time for a frame swap lol

Still may hold onto the diesel idea, but honestly almost any bigger engine in the rig will get pretty decent mileage due to the vehicle size, so I'm between a few things. Keeping an eye out for several different diesel engines (primarily the kubotas), 5.0l (302 or 305, don't matter to me, 4.6l dohc, OR, the classic 4.0 sohc I'm used to already, they don't make too bad of mileage in a 2wd X anyway, imagine the light lil' b2000! So, we'll see what I end up with, but I'm fixing the 2.0l first, the guy cut me a deal for my personal reasons of wanting the rig, plus he's sending it with all the stuff he had for the rebuild, including plugs, coolant, oil filter, etc... so, I'll have some fun with the manual and 80hp for at least a while!
And I'm just realizing I never added a picture of it, so enjoy the listing picture since thats the best I have offhand till I go nab it later this month, already have a trailer ready to pick up the day of, which should be fun since I've never towed anything, but time to get the rado ready!

Screenshot_20240606_000755_Facebook.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still may hold onto the diesel idea, but honestly almost any bigger engine in the rig will get pretty decent mileage due to the vehicle size, so I'm between a few things. Keeping an eye out for several different diesel engines (primarily the kubotas), 5.0l (302 or 305, don't matter to me, 4.6l dohc, OR, the classic 4.0 sohc I'm used to already, they don't make too bad of mileage in a 2wd X anyway, imagine the light lil' b2000! So, we'll see what I end up with, but I'm fixing the 2.0l first, the guy cut me a deal for my personal reasons of wanting the rig, plus he's sending it with all the stuff he had for the rebuild, including plugs, coolant, oil filter, etc... so, I'll have some fun with the manual and 80hp for at least a while!
And I'm just realizing I never added a picture of it, so enjoy the listing picture since thats the best I have offhand till I go nab it later this month, already have a trailer ready to pick up the day of, which should be fun since I've never towed anything, but time to get the rado ready!

View attachment 453289
Nice garage find

Back