zerodevil

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 White Limited V8
Allrighty,

So after more than 500 miles I was ready to give the truck some love from the small peddle on the right. The truck recently had a rebuild transmission installed along with some extra goodies that shaved .8 seconds off of the full weight 0-60. 6.2 seconds.... making it a full .4 seconds faster than its track weight 0-60. Feel free to ask away, my mod list is below.

Video link: Explorer 0-60 6.2 Seconds

Engine/PCM mods:
K&N cold air intake w/ custon 80mm plastic intake pipe
BBK 78mm throttle body plenum combo
Professional products intake manifold (additional porting)
JBA headers, high flowing cats
Magnaflow catback exhaust kit
93 octane tune via hensonperformance.

Owned but not installed due to winter
E-fan + steeda UD pullies

Trans mods:
TCI 2500 stall converter
TCI Jumbo OD/3rd servo's
TCI hardened input shaft
Performance automatic deep dish pan w/ dipstick
Superior solutions vavle body correciton and shift kit package

Mods coming next year
T2R torsen diff on rear end + both diffs rebuilt
possible built 5.4L block and Trickflow heads
Stage 2 cams.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! what all do you remove to achieve "track weight"?

Thanks!

I ditch the front driveshaft, the spare tire, the third row seating, and my rear seats. plus all of the usual things people keep in their vehicles, and i do an 1/8th tank of fuel. Its about 350 - 400 lbs of junk when all is said an done, i also am planning to run with the passenger headlight removed when its on the strip to further enhance airflow on the intake. Im hoping to break into the mid 15's when it goes down the strip come spring.

How are you measuring your times?

I have a touch screen performace monitor on my dash, but i came up with these numbers using my video editing software, came to 6.23.

I will likely not get a super accurate time untill i run it down the strip come this spring, but i expect to see it breaking into the five second range due to the reduction in weight. I will certainly post a timeslip at that time.

Im really looking forward to what this thing will do when it has some real power coming from the engine.

Thanks!

I ditch the front driveshaft, the spare tire, the third row seating, and my rear seats. plus all of the usual things people keep in their vehicles, and i do an 1/8th tank of fuel. Its about 350 - 400 lbs of junk when all is said an done, i also am planning to run with the passenger headlight removed when its on the strip to further enhance airflow on the intake. Im hoping to break into the mid 15's when it goes down the strip come spring.

I think you need to aim a little lower than mid-15's... I'd say you are closer to 14.5-14.8's with that setup and it also depends on the DA where you live. I've run a best of 15.1 with the 2nd/3rd row seats and spare tire removed on 20's. Mods where exhaust/tune through the paper airfilter. I need to get the my mod list updated on the 1/4 mile list as the mods are incorrect.

Also, you might want to PM Mounty03 and see how much he wants for the turbo setup...

Question. Are you getting enough traction with just the rear wheels getting power??? When I started racing my old tow rig Silverado (because nobody wanted to race my Nova anymore) I used to have to launch in Auto 4x4(if I didn't use it I'd spin the rear tires pretty bad).

This is actually a 4x4, this run i had my BWM engaged (brown wire mod). I havnt had traction problems with launches just yet unless the weather is shotty. Im willing to bet that when the upgraded powerplant goes in that will change. Im hoping to counter with some 20x10 wheels and some nice rubber, and i may keep it AWD at that point. The extra 10ish lbs savings would not be worth it if i cannot keep traction at the start.

I know yours is a 4x4 hence why I asked about traction with the front driveshaft removed just for the fact that 10lbs weight savings won't save a run if you spin as generally it takes removing 100lbs to cut a 1/10th of a second off a 1/4 mile run. I know Silverados are different then our Explorers and I had a regular cab, long box Z71 with tow package so I had LSD's & 3.73:1 gears all around from the factory but no weight over the back tires so even with 31 inch all-terrain tires it would spin a fair share off the line unless I launched in Auto 4x4, but then again it was decently modified too.

Personally I never liked 20's (they look nice but that is it in my book) but for larger vehicles to get the sticky tires you pretty much have to use them (unless you wanna run 275/60R15 Micky Thompson ET streets all around, but even then those are only 28 inches tall), which would be pretty retarded. lol

Good luck with the build. I totally couldn't do to mine what you are doing to yours.

The saving grace seems to be that the 4.6L doesnt make a lot of Tq untill about 3k 2.5-3K RPM. This new stall converter puts me really close to that point where i need to be looking at new tires. I will deffinately keep this forum updated on the progress, but i feel this recession buster is going to take a few years to finnish.

All cars do. My Mustang GT is going nowhere fast. Debating on two things. Either a street turbo 4.6L build or a street/strip nitrous 5.4L build. It's partially setup for both and I've never had a turbo car, but . . . . yea. :confused:

Id love to do a turbo set up, but i think i am going to go with a 2.6L kenne bell with some 5.4L adaptor plates for the sheer joy of the sounds it makes haha. I am going to be looking at 20x10's on the rear end and 20x8's on the front when all is said an done, im not sure what tire i plan to use just yet, but its going to need to be a pretty agressive street/strip tire for sure. I also need to do some research on making a custom fuel system.. The next step for me is going to be getting my differentials rebuilt, and then some body work. I am considering getting the truck repainted in Grabber Blue, with black lemans stripes and trim, also a black and grabber blue interior. I could go on for days with what i want to get done with my baby here.

why not a turbo 5.4L? The extra exhaust from the longer stroke would compliment the turbo system, and you would see some faster spool up times. Plus you would get that low end torque untill the turbo spooled up to get you off the line, could rock some pretty agressive cams and still be doing better on the low end than just about any 4.6L I know, its all about hte dollar signs :)

Are you asking me why not a turbo 5.4???? If so it's because of engine space. Or rather lack there of. On my '96 Mustang it would be a pretty tight squeeze with a 5.4 & a turbo. It requires some cutting and I'm not down for that as it is a street car. The car already has a built rear end with 4.10:1 gears so too much low end would require a more aggressive suspension for drag racing as well as a 28 inch tall tire just to get it to hook. I don't want a full on drag car. I've had one of those and it wasn't much fun anywhere but the drag strip. Also I'm only looking to get around 400-500 rwhp out of it. The motor is already set up for boost all I'd need to do is change out the injectors and re-tune it after I get the turbo setup together. I want something I can drive a lot on the street and have fun with yet still be fairly quick in the 1/4 mile. Right now it's 3200 lbs, has 250 rwhp, and runs high 12's with sticky tires with pretty much a stock PI motor with full bolt-ons, the gears, and some progressive rate springs and rear tubular control arms.

I want something I can go cruising in on Friday, tear up the road course on Saturday, and then make some passes down the 1/4 mile on Sunday, then drive it to work on Monday.

oh yeah, i feel you on the engine bay space, i helped my buddy to do some camsm LT headers, and a hellion twin turbo kit on his 96 mustang cobra, i forgot how little space those old body styles have.

Im in total agreement with you about the friday night car, my entire build motto has been STABLE and DRIVEABLE power, with no compromise. I dont want to make somthing so wickedly over powered that i am A: Scared to drive it. or B: Not allowed to drive it anywhere but the race track. C: Breaking somthing every other day. I have been driving my truck nearly everyday since i bought it in 2008, and i cannot imagine anything more fun than having an SUV that can tear it up at the track, and then drive me and my family home afterwards.. with out fear of impending doom.

Yea that is the secret to having fun with a vehicle I feel. Being able to do everything all the time. Also I'm slightly more lucky then your friend with the Cobra. I have a 2V motor instead of his 4V motor so I have slightly more room then he does. How does he like the Hellion turbo kit??? I was thinking about getting their single turbo setup??? Or building my own.

Back