Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

i had mine done almost a year ago, and since then ive noticed that its idling a little rougher again, but nothing as bad as it was. tranny still shifts ok

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a quick question about this update since I'm about to bring the X into the dealer. Should I even bother putting out the money for them to do this if I plan on getting an "X3 Powerflash" and then subsequent tunes from Henson performance? I guess my question is won't the custom tunes override the stock PCM settings anyways, therefore making the upgrade a waste of money.

Factory Flash or XCT?

I don't seem to be experiencing any idle issues but my X take an eternity to downshift when the pedal hits the floor like when I'm trying pass or get out of my own way. Had a lot of close calls 'cause of this. Seems it might improve with a factory flash update but here's my main problem...There aren't many dealers in Northern Italy and I'd bet the ones that are here have never looked under the hood of an X. So I'm thinking maybe and XCT would do the trick. Any ideas/insight? BTW, I am planning a bigger tire/wheel upgrade in the near future. :salute:

'05 XLT 4.0L (stock for now)

What you are describing really just sounds like normal behaviour for drive by wire, so factory flash probably wont help. Others on here that have had custom tunes done by James @hensonperformance say that shifting is sooo much better.

'04 Explorer

My '04 runs smooth as silk, I have no issue with anything about it's performance, other than the pesky converter lock-up clutch which is now being investigated, 100K on the truck.

If no/few operational issues as mentioned in the thread calling for re-flashing PCM are present, would it not be a good idea to skip the flash? imp

2005 ford explorer
I currently have an ongoing problem and I am wondering if this is a common occurance with other ppl. Ive been dealing with a problem for over a year or so, where the truck will go into engine failure and either suffer loss of power or just die. It would usually do it ever once and a while and go away only to happen 6 months down the road. Well now its doing it all the time. Took it to the ford house and they told me I needed a new EGR, and trottle body. Had multiple mass air flow codes, which they thought were from the egr. Well, since I dont feel like shelling out 800 bucks for all this, oh yeah and a PCM flash, I decided to do most of it myself. I've replaced the egr, tried to replace the whole trottle body assembly, but all I can get is just the position sensor. The motor/solenoid(the part that actuates the flap) I cant get aftermarket. I was thinking of going to the mass air flow sensor, but thats 130 more bucks. Kinda looking for ideas or thoughts on it.

.........me I needed a new EGR, and trottle body. Had multiple mass air flow codes, which they thought were from the egr. Kinda looking for ideas or thoughts on it.

Any chance you have a record of those mass air codes? It seems that EGR, or Throttle Body, concerns are, IMO, "shots in the dark". My reasoning is that if the words "Mass Air" are present in the codes presented, that should relate to the PCM (computer) being unable to obtain satisfactory info on the amount, i.e. the mass, of air entering the engine.

While both the EGR and Throttle Body systems control the amount of air being used by the engine, they have no function attached to them to actually measure it.

As far as replacing the Throttle Body goes, that's far-fetched, again my opinion only here, but the throttle body is nothing more than a variable obstruction to air flow, just like the plates in a carburetor, and therefore the Throttle Body does nothing more than control the amount of air the engine can "suck in", thereby controlling it's power output. If the T.B. were cracked, jamming or binding, then replacing it would be in order.

The EGR Valve's movement is monitored by it's own position sensor, which tells the PCM whether it is moving, sticking, stuck open, or stuck closed. Since the EGR valve allows relatively "dirty" air (exhaust gases) to flow back into the engine to be "re-burned", it often gets gunked up in service due to the heat and such. That's why they chose to monitor it's movement. EGR failure generates it's own set of DTCs (trouble codes), unrelated to Mass-Air codes.

Now, let's hear some dissention from the "ranks"! imp

They wanted to change the whole trottle body, sensor and servo motor and all. I just changed out the position sensor on it, the servo motor is dealer only,(maybe to get the motor you got to buy the whole assembly together) I figure they wanted to charge me more money. But as far as the shot in the dark, that was the mechanics at the dealership. I just took it in to have it scanned and reflashed and thats what they told me. Right now after changing the flap position sensor, it hasnt died yet, but I am not holding my breath. (I changed the EGR before that and it ran for a day before it started acting up again.) But I dont know the error codes, they didnt give them to me and I didnt think to ask. My next step if this fix doesnt work, will to be to buy my own scanner and start there. Do you have any suggestions on a good scanner to buy? The one i was looking at, was about 225. It is supposed to be able to test the sensors and give back live data on the vehicle.

My next step if this fix doesnt work, will to be to buy my own scanner and start there. Do you have any suggestions on a good scanner to buy? The one i was looking at, was about 225. It is supposed to be able to test the sensors and give back live data on the vehicle.

More $$ spent, more features available, need them? Proly not. It IS nice to have one which goes beyond merely showing the DTC number code. I paid $89.99 at Autozone for mine, forget the brand right now, but it displays also in words- description of the fault.

My old (??) OBD-II code reader turned up unable to read my 2004 Explorer, though it worked fine on the '96 and '99. A protocol called "CAN" was added around 2002 which requires scanner compatibility for that-- Be sure if you buy one it says "CAN" compatible on the box, or scanner.

When my "OD OFF" light began flashing on & off, there was no MIL (check eng) light at all. Just OD OFF flashing after reaching cruising speed, then it disappeared when the engine was shut down, only to re-appear again upon cruise. I cannot tell you if the commoner (read that "cheaper") readers are able to read-out codes generated other than MIL. By the time I got to reading, the OD OFF had also included an always-on MIL, which read normally (Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid). imp

Just got this done today on my 2002 Explorer XLT and I gotta admit, I was a little hesitant at first but my SVU runs MUCH smoother now.

The rough idle is almost complete gone, the transmission shifts less and shifts smoother now. Those two things alone made it worth the cost which was $89.00 dollars! :D

I just got the PCM upgrade today on my 2003 Explorer, 95k mi. My idle and shiftiing were pretty good before the upgrade, so the changes in my case were minor but they were noticable. I did it more as a preventative maintenace thing. Plus my local dealership (Peoria Ford) has an online coupon for 50% off any service (up to $50) right now. So I paid $50 out the door for the service. They even washed the car for free. Pretty good deal. I asked about having one of those PCM Upgrade stickers put under the hood, but they said they didn't have anymore. I'd like to have the sticker under the hood for future reference.

Anyone know where I can get a PCM Upgrade sticker that I can install under the hood myself?

I just had my PCM upgraded and want to know if the dealer should be able to tell me what version the upgrade was. There is no sticker under the hood, that I can find, and the invoice only has a blank line with the the charged amount of $106. Basically, how do I know they even upgraded it. I was hoping to clear up my 2nd to 3rd shift issue/flare(P0733 and p0745), but no change. Might go with changing the solenoid block next.

Sorry if I missed it.

How do I check to see what version of the PCM software is installed on my (new to me) 2005 Explorer. (I looked under the hood and did not find anything, btw.)

Even if the sticker was present it might not be accurate. I'm pretty sure the only way to find out is take it to a dealer and read it from the scan tool.

I am getting mine flashed tomorrow.

They told me $45 at the dealer.

I am getting a very good price it looks like since everyone else seems to be paying around $100

Great price steve.Dealer quoted 89.99.

Next week or so ill try it.

Let us know your results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one seemed to answer whether a henson tune would bAsically do the same things as a factory tune, if so ill just wait then have the money go toward the tuner

Back