Latest Platinum order time? Ebony Black interior availability date? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Latest Platinum order time? Ebony Black interior availability date?

MagneticPlatinum

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
I ordered my Magnetic Explorer Platinum last Saturday. I think they said it uploaded to Ford two days ago. They said anywhere between 6 - 12 weeks. Does anyone have any better current information? I see a few on Cars.com that appear to have arrived. Also, any date on when the Ebony Black interior will be available? I doubt I have the patience to wait even though I'd prefer it. This resource is great. I have downloaded the order guide, the owners manual and the quick reference guide. As soon as i get a VIN, I'll be in contact with Crystal for tracking. I did get through the 16 pages of threads on what you all have gone through this year. Looked like a rough road just to get a new car.

Thanks to anyone who can help. My salesman doesn't know much-doesn't see any delays, didn't recommend changing the interior color.

My current vehicle is a 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid in White Platinum with a Panoramic roof. Great car-time for something bigger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Ford people here won't give out dates you can hold them to, and that's wise given the previous issues with suppliers.

The best info I have been told is we should see Ebony in the Platinum by December, Job2 builds. But thats up to Lear Corporation who makes the seats, they had QC issues with their first batch of Platinum seats.

While the Platinum is nice I'm not a fan of the ceramic coloured seats with the black dash

Ebony all the way, but to each their own.

I ordered my Magnetic Explorer Platinum last Saturday. I think they said it uploaded to Ford two days ago. They said anywhere between 6 - 12 weeks. Does anyone have any better current information? I see a few on Cars.com that appear to have arrived. Also, any date on when the Ebony Black interior will be available? I doubt I have the patience to wait even though I'd prefer it. This resource is great. I have downloaded the order guide, the owners manual and the quick reference guide. As soon as i get a VIN, I'll be in contact with Crystal for tracking. I did get through the 16 pages of threads on what you all have gone through this year. Looked like a rough road just to get a new car.

Thanks to anyone who can help. My salesman doesn't know much-doesn't see any delays, didn't recommend changing the interior color.

My current vehicle is a 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid in White Platinum with a Panoramic roof. Great car-time for something bigger.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
FYI, Crystal hasn't been here for some time now. Tricia is the one you want to send any PM's to.

Peter

As soon as i get a VIN, I'll be in contact with Crystal for tracking. I did get through the 16 pages of threads on what you all have gone through this year. Looked like a rough road just to get a new car.

Hey there MagneticPlatinum,

I'm Todd, and, like Tricia, I work as a Ford Rep on this awesome forum. If you'd like, you may send over your order number and dealer code via PM; I'll look at the latest.

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
FYI, Crystal hasn't been here for some time now. Tricia is the one you want to send any PM's to.

Peter

Hi peterk9,

We're currently sharing duties, so you may hear from Tricia, Crystal, myself, or others. No worries, though ... we have access to the same resources and work as a team.

Todd

Took the platinum for a test drive today. Great vehicle. Noticed that it didnt quite ride as stiff as the sport - so there is a subtle different in the suspension. Have my dealer checking into ebony interior as well (we went through the build and price (not the online version we see but the ford internal version) and it was available to be selected as an option - however when it got to the final submit order screen, it was identified as late availability - so could not proceed any further.

Also told him I was interest in Sync3 and he brought up he was able to order f150s with Sync3 so is now going to check into this and the ebony interior.

Anyone else have any other experience or have been provided with any dates? Again from what I gather, Ford does not want to commit to anything. The strange thing with Sync3 for me is that it is a software application / operating system. So if its ready on one vehicle - would it not be ready and available on all? Have heard not for explorer because there are kinks to work out - but wouldn't those apply across all model lines?

Just my thoughts

The strange thing with Sync3 for me is that it is a software application / operating system. So if its ready on one vehicle - would it not be ready and available on all? Have heard not for explorer because there are kinks to work out - but wouldn't those apply across all model lines? Just my thoughts

Sync3 is all new hardware as well. Not until MY 2017 next year.

Took the platinum for a test drive today. Great vehicle. Noticed that it didnt quite ride as stiff as the sport - so there is a subtle different in the suspension. Have my dealer checking into ebony interior as well (we went through the build and price (not the online version we see but the ford internal version) and it was available to be selected as an option - however when it got to the final submit order screen, it was identified as late availability - so could not proceed any further.

Also told him I was interest in Sync3 and he brought up he was able to order f150s with Sync3 so is now going to check into this and the ebony interior.

Anyone else have any other experience or have been provided with any dates? Again from what I gather, Ford does not want to commit to anything. The strange thing with Sync3 for me is that it is a software application / operating system. So if its ready on one vehicle - would it not be ready and available on all? Have heard not for explorer because there are kinks to work out - but wouldn't those apply across all model lines?

Just my thoughts

It looks like you've gotten lucky and are working with a competent sales person and honest dealership. I went to a new dealership here in Chicago a couple of weeks ago asking about when the Black interior was coming out. After 30 minutes of doing the run-around, the saleswoman comes back and says that there is no black interior. When citing the latest order guide and the "late availability" for ebony seats, she was confused. She kept on showing me the Ford 'website". I left the dealership and let her know to reach out to me when she gets some news on that. Two days ago, she calls me and let's me know that they have called the plant and there is no such thing as ebony interior and they won't ever be making it for the Platinum's, which is complete bullshit. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be buying from her. Please let us know when you hear back regarding the black interiors since my salesperson only wants to sell what is on the lots right now!

It looks like you've gotten lucky and are working with a competent sales person and honest dealership. I went to a new dealership here in Chicago a couple of weeks ago asking about when the Black interior was coming out. After 30 minutes of doing the run-around, the saleswoman comes back and says that there is no black interior. When citing the latest order guide and the "late availability" for ebony seats, she was confused. She kept on showing me the Ford 'website". I left the dealership and let her know to reach out to me when she gets some news on that. Two days ago, she calls me and let's me know that they have called the plant and there is no such thing as ebony interior and they won't ever be making it for the Platinum's, which is complete bullshit. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be buying from her. Please let us know when you hear back regarding the black interiors since my salesperson only wants to sell what is on the lots right now!
The only thing I've read on here a few times is Ebony may be available sometime in December.

Peter

The only thing I've read on here a few times is Ebony may be available sometime in December.

Peter

It clearly stated "Late Availability" on the last order guide. If I were to guess, I'd say the next order guide on 10/1 should state that it will now be available moving forward. It just does not make sense to hold back on the black interior until early next year.

Hi sgt1411. Will the 2017 explorer have sync 3 and do you know if the platinum 2017 will have more interior color options. Thank you.

My info is that around December 2015 the Platinum will be getting the Ebony interior as an option. Now with that said, given some of the issues they have had with the ceramic interior, specifically Lear seat material, that date may be unrealistic now, only the Plant QC people know.

As for other colours besides Ceramic and EBony I have not heard anything.

That doesn't mean for a new model year they won't offer a new interior choice, they are always looking to make changes that distinguishes the new model year.

If it's the same as previous years we will see an Order Guide sometime in February 2016 for March Order Bank

Good news folks (at least for us Canadians).
It appears black ebony seats was already an option back in Aug 10/15.
As I impatiently wait for my factory order Sport, I noticed my dealership had an order for a Platinum and when looking up the VIN; it shows "Ebony Black/Ebony Black Interior".

Want to see with your own eyes, here's the VIN 1FM5K8HT8GGA73059.

Good news folks (at least for us Canadians).
It appears black ebony seats was already an option back in Aug 10/15.
As I impatiently wait for my factory order Sport, I noticed my dealership had an order for a Platinum and when looking up the VIN; it shows "Ebony Black/Ebony Black Interior".

Want to see with your own eyes, here's the VIN 1FM5K8HT8GGA73059.
A check on ETIS confirms what you have posted but your Window Sticker shows Nirvana Leather Medium Soft Cream.

Peter

My info is that around December 2015 the Platinum will be getting the Ebony interior as an option. Now with that said, given some of the issues they have had with the ceramic interior, specifically Lear seat material, that date may be unrealistic now, only the Plant QC people know.

As for other colours besides Ceramic and EBony I have not heard anything.

That doesn't mean for a new model year they won't offer a new interior choice, they are always looking to make changes that distinguishes the new model year.

If it's the same as previous years we will see an Order Guide sometime in February 2016 for March Order Bank
613GT500 ordered a Platinum with a build date of Aug 8th and it has an Ebony interior and seats. I confirmed that on ETIS.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3470527&postcount=10

Peter

Just to confirm folks, the Platinum that is on order at my dealership; is not my factory order (I have a Sport that's on order).
I came across the Platinum VIN# from viewing what the stock position was at the dealership and was curious on the build date (to gauge on when I can expect my delivery) and happened to notice that the ETIS, showed black ebony as the interior color.

Once the Platinum is physically in their lot, I can try to drive over and verify myself.

Sorry for offtop
I was always curious what is the reason to call interior "Double Black" if Ebony=Black

For those waiting for a Platinum with black interior.

I just got word from my contacts they have Ebony Platinum interiors now, not a secret they are in production.

I have seen it personally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford%20Platinum%20Seat%20Ebony%20IMG_3378.jpg

Back